1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Experimentation

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by LemonDiscus, Oct 15, 2008.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

I figured I would try something different today. I have these really pretty ornamental grasses outside that have got to be pretty large. I decided to attempt to submerge them in my 125 and see if they grow.

On a side note, when I had my Koi Pond outside I tried the same things with success. I used to pick plants and see if they would grow underwater coming from a terrestrial environment. The plant that seemed to take to the submersion the best were the grasses.

Anyhow I broke off about 6-7 pieces of the grass and planted them in my tank. It will be interesting to see if they live and grow. When I did it with my pond the grasses went into shock and then came out after a few weeks. Most other plants died from the shock.

The big difference here is the lighting and water parameters but the grass did well in the pond during the summer when the water was warm and went dormant around fall (does not do this when terrestrial).

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Are they completely submerged ?

3. LemonDiscus

Yes as they were in my pond

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

How do they look in there ?

5. LemonDiscus

Well, I have 2 types of grasses. Both are relatively short at full height, 1 is darker which really can not be seen and then there is a bright green one that looks like a grass that is sold in pet stores for aquariums. I think they look good.

You can see 3 groups of the bright green grass on the left and 1 cluster on the far right. I dont know if you can see the darker stuff but it is all on the left of the tank

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Looks good. Hopefully your lighting is enough to get them to grow.

7. LemonDiscus

Yup, that is my main concern. I think the acidic water should not be and issue because my water in the pond was a bit as well.

8. LemonDiscus

Well, it has been in my tank for 1 week. Surprisingly none of the grass has wilted. It is all still the same color it was outside. I would have thought by now it would have started deteriorating. I have felt the grass blades and actually they are quite strong. They are not weak and rotting feeling.

It still may be a bit early to tell but I think it is going to work! :D

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Very cool!!!

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

How are the plants doing ? Your image was lost due to the database problem.

11. LemonDiscus

Still alive, I added a few more grasses because the 1st batch planted a week ago actually seem to be doing well. They are growing roots and seem fine.

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

13. Leslie

Leslie New Member

How are the plants doing now?? please let me know. i have eeen wanting to try something like this but figured i would look stupid.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

You should never feel stupid for trying! Or asking if others think it might work etc for that matter.

15. LemonDiscus

Most of them (about 85%) are still doing good! :D

16. Leslie

Leslie New Member

I figured too that it might just kill all my fish. thats why i never tried.