1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Father/Son Discus Project

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by WhiteGloveAquatics, Feb 2, 2010.

1. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics Thread Starter New Member

Ok, I done did it, I bought my father a new tank 45g AGA
    ai47.tinypic.com_f2802c.jpg

Ok, sumps, whos got the best bang for the buck?

heaters as well, I think 100% submersible.

hang on adapter for a sump?

and last but not least, water pump? maybe a marineland 660 w/ sponge?

thank you

also its got twin 36" 30w 6500K bulbs and we are also looking for planting substrate, he doesnt want to reuse the eco complete so I am going to tear down my guppy tank and rebuild it with eco complete and tons of live plants from a buddy on APC.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

I think its going to look very good. He has been into fish since the early 60's and was one of the top guppy suppliers in the fox valley area in northern illinois, he kept all sorts of fish from about 65 to 90 and Ive had em since 99 on my own, I think we have enough experience between us but outside insight is ALWAYS welcome.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Marineland Stealth (super easy to hide on a black background too)
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21323" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/p ... atid=21323</a>
    use coupon code 34304001 for an extra $5.00 off

sorry, but eco-complete hands down is the absolute best! I have it in my discus tank, and both of my 10g's

Not sure about your area, but I know my Petco has had fancy guppies for $1.00 a piece..and I was shocked because they looked amazing (not your typical chain pet store condition).

3. WhiteGloveAquatics

I got over 400 here,guppies that is.

Its going in the sump, I use ML stealths on my guest friendly tanks and trionics on my qt's and bare bottoms.

yeah thats a sale they have a few times a year. none of the fish from there have lasted long for me, odd too because we are on the same water supply. He said he is going to get new stuff for the bottom and I told him the eco complete would be great, but how much is needed for a 45?

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

if its a 45g (36"L x 12"W) then the calc I have says 72lbs of eco-complete for 3" of depth and for a 2" depth it would be 48lbs according to the calc....if he's wanting new in there I'd use foster and smith since they are running the $5.99 flat rate shipping for any size order and I'd tack on the $5 off coupon code which brings shipping to just $0.99

5. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Dawn is the ultimate bargain shopper! :)

6. WhiteGloveAquatics

I dunno, im still new here. I might have her beat, I am going thru old websites ive bookmarked and found the old dirt cheap sites I used to use. I mean 5 bucks for 500ml flourish, the substrate is about 10 bucks cheaper then retail too

7. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Always nice to find a bargain. This hobby can be real expensive if you dont know where to look for stuff!

8. WhiteGloveAquatics

Yeah, Ive learned to take the whole LFS out of the equation when setting up tanks. walmart and menards have everything you need to DIY all of it. I mean 15 bucks for a double t-12 or t-8 or t-5 fixture and bulbs. you cant get double the wattage any cheaper. replace ballasts and your limits are endless.

I got a bunch of buddies in the hobby so when they do gravel changes at work, I get the free bacteriafied gravel and filters. Its neat to go out and be like yeah got my marineland stealth for 15 bucks, new in box.

9. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

No... Lowes and Home Depot are the best for lights and ballasts...

Ballasts - Home Depot
    Lights - Lowes
    Sand - Lowes/Walmart/Home Depot
    Driftwood - Lakes/Rivers/Streams
    Plants.... - LFS/Online
    Filters/Tanks - Craigslist
    Heaters - Online/LFS/Walmart

10. WhiteGloveAquatics

I got mine at menards for 6.89 for a double t-8 and 3.99 for the bulbs at walmart.

I was at depot today getting a glass scraper and looked at the lights and the double t-8 is 23.99 and thats the lithonia cheap-o one.

I got 3 nice double t-8's in polished diamond plate in the garage I am going to use for the new fish room.

home depot and lowes by me are more expensive. Im in chicago, we pay premium for everything around here. pack of smokes costs over 7 bucks now

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Everyone Loves a good deal!
    And this hobby definitely gets expensive quickly...better to try to get what you really want in the first place to avoid the dreaded costs of upgrade.

I'm sure just about everyone on here knows I shop around and use coupon codes too :)

I can't believe the eco-complete has gone up like it has though...I was getting mine for less than $20 a bag shipped to my door!

12. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Yeah, that stuff is expensive no matter where you get it.

13. WhiteGloveAquatics

I got flourite about a year ago and back then it was under 20 a bag not its like 22 a bag.
    My wife finally understands after buying the kids birthday gifts online this year, got 3 of the same thing online as we could have afforded 1 in store, (lego collections)

14. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

15. WhiteGloveAquatics

Shopping around means waiting for mail order catalogs to arrive, I got 1 LFS that carries this stuff but he charges double what internet and catalogs charge and wont match pricing.(weird cause he used to be a partner of my old boss when I was on my very first job 15 years ago and he now runs his business opposite of the way he ran the other one and well its kinda screwed him in his old age, he lost alot of loyal customers)

I have no problem with DIY but this tank is in his office so its kinda a professional appearance requirement. I got the stuff to build 10 sumps here and boxes but his money and his tank so I am going with his ideas.

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

my lfs will occasionally match prices, but many times the things I have printouts for are cheaper than what he can get it for...at first I didn't believe him, but then he showed me. Lol!

17. WhiteGloveAquatics

yeah the small business owner pays slightly under retail, its a shame.

18. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

no wonder that guy wont cut me a break on things.

19. WhiteGloveAquatics

they are barely breaking even, thats why the independent shops usually run higher in price for boxed or dry goods.

20. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

At the shop I deal with on a regular basis, she just tell me I can't compete on that product. Her and I barter on a lot on things, fish for product and most time I come out on the short end of the stick but I'm not selling any fish to Petsmart so I guess we come out even in the long run.

Rick