1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Father/Son Discus Project

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by WhiteGloveAquatics, Feb 2, 2010.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

:) Wow thats a funny way to put that!

I do run bare bottom for breeding and growout tanks... Also bb qt tanks... I just keep my 1 display that is planted.

I am about to receive next month a shipment of fish and I will be running them in my 55 gallon as a bb for a few months (maybe longer depending on their size).

Discus grow better in a bare bottom and so its best to grow them out in that way and then move them to a planted setup once they get to adult size. I cant go into why that is best because the explanation is very long winded but thats how I do it... I learned the hard way thats the way, in the past I didnt do it that way...

I do know of 1 guy that grows out his fish in a planted setup VERY successfully, but his tank has THOUSANDS of dollars into it. It is FAR beyond a high tech planted setup.. yes he runs CO2 and also has a water purifier basically as his filter... He can grow a discus from 3" to 7" less than 20 weeks! The same without his setup (one like mine for example) would take over a year IF they even get to full grown...

2. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics Thread Starter New Member

yeah I think he is trying to find adults now or atleast ones that are around 5" minimum

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Good call! ;)

4. WhiteGloveAquatics

heres the update of the discus tank

ai45.tinypic.com_104ktgp.jpg
    ai50.tinypic.com_wj8f3m.jpg
    ai46.tinypic.com_2008js0.jpg
    ai48.tinypic.com_jpyiiu.jpg
    ai46.tinypic.com_23vhox2.jpg

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

looking good, is that glo lite tetras that I spotted in there?

Ya need some red in there! (not that you have the room) haha!

Once that fills in that will be very eye pleasing :)

6. WhiteGloveAquatics

red will detract from the red discus, tried to stay as livestock centered as possible with the plants. I got one of the italian vals already multiplying.

Im not sure how many discus we can fit in there now, I might have to rearrage and thin out some.

7. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Seeing I'm a recycled newbie that tank is on my dream wish list. Beautiful job WD. You and your Father should be proud. Your project gives me encouragement and hope. Thank you and your Father for sharing.

8. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

dang thats a nice set up!!!!! big ballin!!!! haha

anyways, i was just curious, do you need c02 with that amount of plants??

9. WhiteGloveAquatics

got the tank stand and canopy and 2 36" light strip for free. its 1200 bucks retail.

yes Co2 is a must with that many plants, the fish wont ever give off enough to sustain the plants need for it. the plants were terrible last week just the 3 days the Co2 has been on has made a big difference already.

10. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

tank set up looks really nice!!

11. WhiteGloveAquatics

Update, this is the rescape I did last weekend. It looks 100x better IMO the background when looked at straight on looks alot deeper then it is. the new wood used came from my amazon tank and the type makes it pop even more.

Gonna retire the anubias and some of the ferns tomorrow when I got my hands in there.

Discus are a short ways away but now he is talking a 190 gallon or 150 gallon tank for discus and basically get more eco complete and set it up, use tank water, substrate filter ect use it ALL in the new tank when/if he gets it. 1500 bucks for a whole set up aint bad at all.

ai42.tinypic.com_20qx5ye.jpg

12. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

the tank has fill in really nicely not sure about the background, it does add depth but somehow seem out of place

Rick

13. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Sounds like MTS raising it's nasty head even before this tank is finished. LOL

14. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

You may know me to well
    One of the very few case when a plant background may do the tank jus
    IMHO
    I stick bye my guns the background sucks

Rick

15. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Now that I look I don't know if it's just the photo but the driftwood in the background just looks too fake and all one color.It sort of sticks out and distracts from the tank IMO.

16. WhiteGloveAquatics

yes its new, it looked better before the scape when the diatoms were on the back glass.

The pic is the problem too, the angle I took it at makes everything look shinier.

trust me this BG looks 100x better then the plant background. I wanted pure black but he wanted pure black with something of a creek bed nature on it. hell before this BG there was shiny blue foil. Let me work the tank again today and try using different camera settings, the settings were enlightened to show my 52g stained water tank. that gold water makes alot of reflection in the lens.