1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Feeding a Satsatanoperca Jurupari?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by NoctuVide, Jun 20, 2009.

1. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Thread Starter Member

I ended up acquiring a rather large Jurupari (whether he's a true jurupari or not, I'm not sure), and my question is, what's the best type of food for a SA cichlid of this size? He's gotta be around 8" and the pellets I have for my Africans seem way to small for him. For the time being I've just been dropping in a bunch of the small pellets for him to eat, which he does, but like I said, I want to make sure he's eating enough when I feed him. Any idea's and suggestions would be great! Thanks! BTW, he's not in with the africans. I learned my lesson about mixing africans with SA's when a young Jurupari I bought got beat up really bad. That little guy is now in another tank and has made a full recovery ;) .

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Nice fish. :D I love Dainichi's cichlid food. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.dainichi.com/cichlid_food_ultima.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dainichi.com/cichlid_food_ultima.html</a>

That would work perfectly but if you cannot find that or don't want to spend that much then Hikari should carry something similar. They're omnivores so you won't have any difficulty finding a good quality staple food.

Oh also, I would recommend a sinking pellet not a floating one.

3. NoctuVide

yeah, I looked around at a couple stores today and they have the Hikari, but it was all the floating type, not the sinking...which is what I was looking for... So I'm probably going to go up to another LFS that carries a lot more fish foods...and see what they have. Any certain type of the Hikari better for the SA's? I saw a few different types.

4. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Cichlid Bio-Gold+ ;) I'm not sure if it comes in sinking though so you may have to presoak it so it will sink some

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah that's what I would recommend from Hikari as well.

6. NoctuVide

ok, and if the LFS I go to has the Dainichi Fish Food, would the ultima sinking be the one to go with?

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah I think that would be the best for this fish.

8. NoctuVide

alright...thanks! I'll try to get a pic of him in some way shape and form and post it on here in the pics section.

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Sounds good. :D

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

??

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

New Life Spectrum

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

oh..I was like wt *bleep* is that. Thanks for clarifying!

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

:) You're welcome.