1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

feeding endler fry?

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by NoctuVide, Jan 28, 2009.

1. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Thread Starter Member

When should you start feeding the fry? My endler just gave birth.

2. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

Re: feeding fry

i think endlers are liver bearer so i think you can feed them crushed flakes right away im not sure u can check with anothy good luck nice looking fishes

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I always describe what I do as "powdered flake", specifically spirulina. Spirulina is high is protein which is excellent for the fry. Put some spirulina into a ziplock baggy and crush it between your fingers until you cannot get it any smaller. The adults will eat it as well.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I feed all, adults and fry, of my endlers crushed flake. To me with the endlers being so tiny it is easier for them to eat crushed than the larger flakes.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I do crushed flakes for my fry (or powdered as Anthony says by rubbing it between my fingers until it becomes very fine powdered)...also Hikari first bites are great-->Currently feeding it to guppy fry.

6. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Thread Starter Member

I ended up picking up some hikari first bites today. I moved most of the fry to a fry net (plastic cube with a net around it) so that the other fish (including the mother) wouldn't eat them. I found a total of about 7. Two ended up dieing, but the others are doing well and swimming all around the net. I decided to use the fry net last minute because when I saw that she had given birth, she was going after one of the fry.

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Yep, almost all fish will eat their young. Be careful with the first bite...a teensy tiny pinch goes a hell of a long way. I feed mine a teeny bit several times a day and they appear to be doing fantastic!
    Good Luck with yours.
    Ps. Some fish can suck the fry to the side of those mesh breeding nets ultimately killing them. I hang the 5-way Convalescent Fish Breeding Trap (Hagen) that can be viewed at aquariumguys on my tank. I use the bottom pinhole crate and place the v-section piece in the middle to firmly hold it down; and believe it or not...as tiny as guppy fry are-I have yet to see one escape between the side slats!