1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Fertilizer

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by cliff0114, Jun 23, 2010.

1. cliff0114

cliff0114 Thread Starter New Member

I have 55 gallon heavily planted and wanted to know what fertilizers others are using. Mine is low to mod. light plants. 1/8 gravel about 1.5 inches deep. No co2, just plain old planted tank, aqua clear 70 filter and 9 watt uv sterilizer, ( coralife twist) I forgot the name of the tabs I have been using. Would like to here other options.
    Cliffs 55 Gallon Planted Tank

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I've done eco-complete planted (fertilizing using the whole seachem line...and no fertilization at all)
    Right now the 90g is simply pool filter sand and Hagen plant spikes and nothing else (specs of all my tanks should be on the first page..see signature links).

3. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Go for seachems flourish line, on a side note that green plant between the two rocks with the white edges isn't aquatic. It is Dracaena Fragrans, aka corn plant and will rot in your tank. Pull it and use it as a house plant.

4. cliff0114

cliff0114 Thread Starter New Member

I have found several plants that AFTER I bought them were NOT aquatic. I will research it more. The other is that bamboo plant that grows a curly stalk. Leaves have to be above the water line. Thanks I will check into it more.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

ya, the bamboo will turn to mush. The green & white one will last a bit then eventually brown (I know petco carries them in tubes for terarriums, but will stock them next to the fish stuff so people think they are okay for aquariums too).

6. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I put a dracaena fragens in an open top 10 gal and within 4 weeks it was 8" above the water. It was transferred to a pot and grew to 6' before I gave it away. As for bamboo if you ever go to Florida (or anywhere) you can see the 18' walls of bamboo forests in everyones yard. Ornimental bamboos don't grow that fast but they are not for aquariums.

7. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

And if you give it half a chance it will take over your whole yard.

Rick

8. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I lived in St. Petersburg for a year and was cutting the forest constantly. Could not get rid of it, pulled it out and it grew back.

9. James0816

James0816 New Member

IMO...if you're looking into using ferts...go with dry. You'll spend way much more money on the other stuffs. I use both PMDD pre-mixes and EI methods.

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Do Root tabs (api or Seachem) about 1" away from your rooted plants so roots can grow towards it. Definitely wanna do this with any sword type plants.

Then you can go co2/diy co2 or simpy Seachem Flourish Excel (or as james recommends)..I've always done the liquid in a bottle routine. I wouldn't add much else unless you see the need for it. If you have red/pink colored plants (which are high light by the way) you may want to consider adding Iron (Flourish Iron or the equivalent).