1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Filter for my 83 gal!?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by nossie, Jul 31, 2010.

1. nossie

nossie Thread Starter Member

I recently found (and suspected from the start) that the filter that came with my 83 gallon is far too small. It's effective for a tank of max. 56 gallons. So I'm on the look for a second filter to support this one. I have goldfish, 8 of them, and good filtration for goldfish should be rated for a tank twice the size of the one I have, meaning that you could/should combine two different filters of the appropriate efficiency to get the double amount! :D
    Well, so far I haven't found any in a good size, and I'm not even certain which size would be appropriate! So, the one I have now is a Fluval 4, containing two pads of bio filter medium.

So my question is, should I think that I already have filtration for 56 gallons, and add a filter rated for a 110 gallon, or should I get one of the same size as my tank and use both? (I'm thinking about using two filters in it since it's quite a long tank, or an external power filter, but they're incredibly expensive!!)

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I would simply suggest getting the highest rated GPH filter you can afford.

3. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

Yep, if it were me Id use the biggest aquaclear I could find.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

HOB-->
    Aquaclear 110 (500): 500 gph for aquariums up to 110 gallons

CANISTER-->
    FilStar xP3 Up to 175 Gallons 350 GPH 9-1/2" x 8-1/2" x 17" 19W
    FilStar xP4 Up to 260 Gallons 450 GPH 13" x 9" x 17"

5. nossie

So I'll look for the biggest I can find, thanks! :D

6. WhiteGloveAquatics

Nossie

Filtration is very vital
    To filter correctly you need 4 times turnover of the total water volume per hour
    your 83g needs a total of 332 gph of filtration. you can never overfilter really.

7. nossie

It is! Especially for goldfish, as they grow rather big compared to most tropicals d:
    The filter I've got for now is filtering around 395 gph. But I need about twice the efficiency or so...

I forgot to ask, does any one of you know any filters that are sold in Europe? Or at least European brands?
    I haven't really heard about any of these that Dawn mentioned :C

8. WhiteGloveAquatics

9. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

is craigslist in your area? I know they are in England and Germany. Check there.

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Did a bit of researching since I forgot about your being in Finland...
    Store in Finland showing Eheim --> <a class="postlink" href="http://www.awesomeaquariums.com.au//tools.php?osCsid=6eed35a10ae0eeaa14a80c77c3caf8ac" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.awesomeaquariums.com.au//too ... 77c3caf8ac</a>
    Eheim Pro 2 model 2026
    •Aquarium Size: 92 gal
    •Pump Output: 251 gph
    •Filter Circulation: 172 gph
    •Delivery Head: 6`7"
    •Filter Volume: 1.3 gal
    •Power Consumption: 25 W
    •Filter Height: 14.8"
    •Weight: 11.5 lbs
    -----------------------------
    Not sure if your area carries it, but Fluval is supposed to be a very good line too (fluval fx5.. has been compared to being very similar..yet more powerful than the rena filstar xp4)

11. nossie

FishVixen: I could try and check! :)

Dawn: I was looking at an online shop in southern Finland not long ago, but they only carried filters for at most 60-65 gallon tanks |: Anything bigger was like 300€ or something o_O

You mean this site would ship things to Finland? I can't seem to find any shipping info :'D It seems to be Australian, so I'm afraid the shipping costs might be a problem.

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

when I googled I used finland fish store and that's what popped that looked good.
    I thought it was Finland based (located)? Sorry, my bad if it isn't.

13. nossie

It says on the site that it's located in Australia xD But don't worry ;)
    I found a few good filters on the Finnish site actually! How about these? <a class="postlink" href="http://www.akvaarioon.fi/epages/TP.sf/fi_FI/?ObjectPath=/Shops/19102007-19910/Products/4011708220665" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.akvaarioon.fi/epages/TP.sf/f ... 1708220665</a> and <a class="postlink" href="http://www.akvaarioon.fi/epages/TP.sf/fi_FI/?ObjectPath=/Shops/19102007-19910/Products/4011708202357" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.akvaarioon.fi/epages/TP.sf/f ... 1708202357</a>

"In case of"-translation: (only the more important parts)

First link:
    Eheim Classic 2215+
    Size of aquarium <350 liters (~92.3 gallons)
    Strength of the pump: 620l/h (~163gph)
    Filter volume: 4 liters (~1 gallon)

Eheim Professionel 3 350 2073
    Size of aquarium <350 liters (~92.3 gallons)
    Strength of the pump: 1050l/h (~277gph)
    Filter volume: 4.5 liters (~1.2 gallons)

Both seem quite affordable, but I was thinking about the latter one as it is more powerful, and a tad bigger!

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

nothing higher in filtration?
    As devil said you really want at least 4x's overturn minimum...but with goldys I'd go even more/higher knowing they are messy so to speak.

Example of REALLY REALLY good filtration>>
    I've got 900gph (roughly) on the 90g which is giving me 10x
    Imho you can never have TOO much filtration & if it's soo strong it's blowing your fish then you simply stick a prefilter over it or attach a spraybar if it's a canister and aim it at the "wall" of the tank

15. nossie

Alright... so there are two more (the biggest I can find there)

Eheim Classic 1500 XL 2260
    Size of aquarium <1500 liters (~395 gallons)
    Strength of the pump: 2400l/h (~633gph)
    Filter volume: 18 liters (~4.7gallons)
    Although, this one's a useless deal, no filter media is in the price, and it's 292€ :C I can't afford it even if it's bigger and stronger than the next one.
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.akvaarioon.fi/epages/TP.sf/fi_FI/?ObjectPath=/Shops/19102007-19910/Products/4011708221273" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.akvaarioon.fi/epages/TP.sf/f ... 1708221273</a>

Eheim professionel 3 600 2075
    Size of aquarium <600 liters (~158 gallons)
    Strength of the pump: 1250l/h (~330gph)
    Filter volume: 6 liters (~1.6 gallons)
    I would prefer this one, as the filter media is counted into the price of 252€ And it has one year longer warranty. Besides, I will be using the internal power filter to go with it, which was pumping 395gph. Meaning that I'd have 715gph of filtration altogether.
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.akvaarioon.fi/epages/TP.sf/fi_FI/?ObjectPath=/Shops/19102007-19910/Products/4011708202364" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.akvaarioon.fi/epages/TP.sf/f ... 1708202364</a>

16. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

sounds like the second one is the winner. for the price.

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

If you can't afford the XL2260 then I'd go with the Pro 3 600 2075 since it has the highest gph.

18. nossie

Alright, thanks for your help :) I'll get it asap!

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

if you have a few diff. pet stores or online retailers that will deliver to you I'd be calling around to get the best possible price.
    Also, if using online site be sure to check around for coupons for that particular site (I know here I can almost always score some sort of percentage off or free shipping when you spend enough).

20. nossie

I know the guy who has the shop I was linking to actually ;> But I don't think that'll give me much of a discount. I could ask him how it works and where to get it!
    And yes, I intended to check in the shops around town as well before I make up my mind :) Besides, I might need to save up a bit of money before I buy it... I have other things I need than things for my tank, unfortunately d:
    But I bet my fish will be okay at least for a week or two in that tank with the current filter, since I won't be putting all the fish in at once, and they're still rather small :)