1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

filter media compatible with this type of filter?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by san_sam, May 1, 2010.

1. san_sam

san_sam Thread Starter New Member

I know I am constantly asking help but I am a newbie guys so pls :D I have a question on what are the filter media's that can be used with this filter..
    I am sure at least one of you guys must have this.. And what is the pipe in the right bottom for? I am going to bed now 'cause I have got class tomorrow.. I hope any of u with this filter notice the post and reply.. See ya all tomorrow.. :D
    Boyu_Upper_Filte_4b45dd525fb5e.jpg

2. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

Ive never seen a filter like that before.

can you post a link to it so we can help you further.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

for some reason I can't link directly to it...so if you select upper filter from the right...you'll see it (not sure exactly which model he has).

can always use the contact and ask them what type of filter media is compatible with there filter (i'd guess there's a specific cartridge that fits into the top of it)

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

5. san_sam

6. san_sam

I did send a mail a long back Dawn.. No response yet.. I only need to figure out what the right hand bottom tube kinda thing is for.. there is no manual along with the filter.. LOL.. This page is for the upper filter. If you notice only in my model that is the last one in this page that the pipe is visible.. :)

7. Wireless-Anthony

Wireless-Anthony New Member

I think the problem we're having is that they don't offer that type of filter here in the USA. It looks almost like a underground HOB filter hybrid.

8. san_sam

No Antony.. It is more like a hang on back filter... I think I can use the media's used for the HOB's for this.. Can u tell me the best media's for a Hang on back.. :D

9. san_sam

Here is the complete set of pictures of my filter..Please have a look at it... It seems to have two compartments. One for filter media and to my assumption the second compartment might be for the cleaned water from the filter to tank.. But the tube kinda thing is not really tight in the second compartment.. Have a look and tell me what you guys think..
    Filter.jpg Filter media compartment.jpg compartment of my doubt.jpg Assembled filter.jpg Tube from tank.jpg

10. san_sam

Waiting or your replies friends.. [icon_e_sad.gif]

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

from what I can tell of the photos your media defin. goes to the right (past the clear divider & either on top of the crate platform or below it...I'd think on top, but we don't have that type of filter in the here..at least not that I'm aware of)..make sure you don't fill it too high because the water has to flow over the plastic divider.

If they gave you layers of cotton that would be the same as your microfiltration (so basically the same as a hob, but no carbon).

Media all depends what you have room for without causing it to overflow (flow over the top of the entire unit as in flooding). With the assumption it works from the bottom layer to the top layer I'd test out some ceramic rings/bio-chem stars/or even something like eheim substrat pro as your first layer and then maybe either Purigen bags over that or the filter floss sheets that they gave you. Eheim Filter Media Information FAQ

IF that doesn't work it it overflows then I'd assume there's merely enough room for only the filter floss they gave you with it.

IN photo 2 the cylinder like tube that is coming off the filter on the far left side according to viewing the photo-- that appears to be you out Take (will bring clean water back into the tank after running it through your media).

the long hose running to the part on the right according to viewing the photo... with the intake strainer appears to be the intake (pulls the water from your tank and runs it over the media).