1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

final stock?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by jedg, Aug 28, 2010.

1. jedg

jedg Thread Starter New Member

Hello,

i have a 45 litre heavily planted tank with gravel ornaments bogwood and a 320 litre an hour filter. once it was cycled, i started introducing fish which i have done over the past month.
    i wanted a big variety in the tank, with exciting colourful interesting fish so so far have
    2 platy
    1 guppy
    5 green/false neon tetras
    1 golden apple snail

acording to aqadvisor i have 63% stocked so have a bit of space in the tank. dont think i will be getting anything else for a bout a month so have some time to think about it, but thought i'd see if anyone had any suggestions at all as to what could add to this tank in a month? something different to what i already have perhaps. staying quite small (definately less than 10cm) interesting or colourful nothing too hard to look after, although im open to thinking about it. fish inverts amphibians anything really. hope to hear back

2. nossie

nossie Member

Why not some little shrimp? There are lots of adorable shrimp that stay rather small :)
    You just have to make sure that their pellets will reach them ;)

3. jedg

yeah i was thinking about some shrimp, maybe 5 or so?
    i like both amano and cherry shrimp. but i think i would also like another couple of fish. would i be right in thinking that i can fit in about another 15cm of slim bodies fish such as tetras and live bearers? any suggestions here? thanks

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

According to the converter it looks like the tanks about 11 gallons.
    gotta watch with the lil shrimp like the cherry and ghost variety (they'll get picked off by the tetras), but something of size like a bamboo shrimp they might not muck with but I wouldn't suggest it for your tank size.
    Assuming you don't want breeding (reason for 1 guppy) and dependant upon your water parameters (such as your Ph mainly) I'd think of maybe something along the lines of:
    dwarf corydoras' or Dwarf (Honey) Gouramis.

Some other great fish for smaller tanks would be the following (but you'd have to keep an eye on them because of the guppy...many fish tend to nip at their flowy fins):
    Rasbora Tetras (look great against greenery), Additional Neon Tetras (since they look great in a descent size school), cherry barbs (absolutely stunning vividly red color fish), glowlite tetras (look great against greenery, and usually don't pose any issues to a guppy).

Just be careful not to overstock smaller tanks (you've got less room for "error" even IF you have good filtration..which of course the plants will provide "some").

5. jedg

thanks for the advice on shrimp, i was thinking about shrimp maybe. and the suggestions of small shoal of tetras/barbs was grat. i dont like gourmais though! and cory cats are great, but i have gravel substrate and this can damage them doesnt it?
    im thinking then small shoal of tetras or barbs, corys depending on what you think of them with gravel, a bristlenose plec, a couple more guppys and mollies are my options. obviously not all of this, just what my tank can handle oh nd shrimp. yeah it is important to be careful with small tanks agreed. anything else i should watch? or anything thatis a definate no?

thanks for your reply

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

gravel defin. isn't the best for cory's barbs, but you can always scoop out a section and put in pool sand or eco-complete for them possibly.

I wouldn't put a bristlenose pleco in a tank that's just a lil over 10g even though they only get to be 4" and are peaceful..they deserve more room.

With the guppies and getting more than 1 you'll quickly be overstocked due to breeding unless you get all males (but sometimes even with just males they'll fight with one another which leads to the nasty road of injuries which leads to disease)...same with mollys'. And ime with the mollys they do a bit better with a bit of freshwater aquarium salt in their water.

Obviously theirs a lot of definite no's (larger fish..many to watch because of the guppys flowy fins which many will see as a treat..etc).