1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Firemouth Cichlids

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by DanBruv, Jul 12, 2009.

1. DanBruv

DanBruv Thread Starter New Member

Roughly how long after pairing off will firemouth cichlids lay the eggs and is there any typical behaviors i should be watching for, which would indicate they might be laying eggs. Many Thanks.. Dan :)

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If they're sexually mature and they pair off then within a couple weeks they should spawn.

3. DanBruv

do you know any behavior that they might do before they lay eggs?

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Only behavior would be them spawning. They won't really show signs of "pre spawning".

5. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

They might chase each other too but that happens anyway so you really can't go by that

6. DanBruv

hmm and is there any information you could give me about what behavior they should have if they are paired together?

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If they're paired they'll normally stick close to each other.

8. DanBruv

Thanks alot this has really helped i can now officially say they are paired :)

9. DanBruv

At what point will my female firemouth stop eating?

During breeding i heard they stopped eating does anyone know at about what time she will stop? [bfish] [nemo] :D [dancing] ;)

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

When I had them that didn't happen, she continued to eat.

11. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

Dan, here is a short artical I found on firemouths. hope it helps.

Distribution:
    The Firemouth Cichlid was described by Brind in 1918. They are found in Central America; Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama. They inhabit the middle and bottom areas of slow moving rivers, ponds, and canals with sandy or muddy bottoms. They stay close to vegetation near the shore where they feed on algae along with some meaty foods.

This species is not listed on the IUCN Red List.

Description:
    The body of the Firemouth Cichlid is strongly compressed laterally with a sloping forehead. The color is is generally blue-gray with several black blotches and it has brown fins streaked with blue. They are named for the coloration on the under side of the mouth. It has a vivid red throat and belly, starting at the base of the tail and extending to the mouth. There are some coloration differences, but is dependent on each fishes place of origin. Male have a more pointed dorsal and anal fins and are more intensely colored, especially during breeding.
    All cichlids share a common feature that some saltwater fish such as wrasses and parrotfish have and that is a well-developed pharyngeal set of teeth that are in the throat, along with their regular teeth. Cichlids have spiny rays in the back parts of the anal, dorsal, pectoral, and pelvic fins to help discourage predators. The front part of these fins are soft and perfect for precise positions and effortless movements in the water as opposed to fast swimming.
    Cichlids have one nostril on each side while other fish have 2 sets. To sense “smells” in the water, they suck water in and expel the water right back out after being “sampled” for a short or longer time, depending on how much the cichlid needs to “smell” the water. This feature is shared by saltwater damselfish and cichlids are thought to be closely related.

Size - Weight:
    These fish get up to 6 inches (15 cm).

Care and feeding:
    Since they are omnivorous the Firemouth Cichlid will generally eat all kinds of flake, fresh, and live foods. To keep a good balance give them a high quality flake food or pellet everyday. Feed brine shrimp (either live or frozen) or blood worms as a treat.
    A minimum 20 gallon aquarium is suggested for a pair, though a larger tank would be needed if keeping several. They need good water movement along with strong and efficient filtration. Provide a bottom of fine sand and plenty of hiding places among rocks and wood. Plants are appreciated but should be hardy, such as Sagittaria. Place the plants around the inside perimeter leaving an open area in the center for swimming. The plants should be potted to protect the roots.
    The Firemouth Cichlid can be rewarding specimen for a beginning aquarist as they are relatively easy to keep. Do water changes of 15 to 20% a week depending on bio load. They are subject to infections as well as other diseases that ail all freshwater fish.

Water Region: Top, Middle, Bottom:
    These fish will swim in the middle and lower areas of the aquarium.

Acceptable Water Conditions:
    Hardness: 8 - 15° dH
    Ph: 6.5 - 8.0
    Temp: 70 - 75° F (21 - 24° C)

Social Behaviors:
    The Firemouth Cichlids can be a good community fish and are not usually aggressive except when spawning. They should be kept with similar sized tankmates. In a large tank several pairs can be kept. They are monogamous and will pair off, developing a strong nuclear family. They get territorial when spawning and also may burrow, damaging plants at that time. They are, however, very good parents.

Sexual Differences:
    The male has a more pointed dorsal and anal fins and is more intensely colored, especially during breeding.

Breeding/Reproduction:
    The Firemouth Cichlids are egg layers A monogamous cichlid, they form a nuclear family. The female spawns 100-500 eggs on carefully cleaned rocks. The fry are protected in pits by both parents.

12. buzz4520

Dawn, should i just copy and past the info instead of the web site itself ???

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Yup, IF it has a forum to it.
    Much appreciated :)

14. DanBruv

Thank you guys :), and sorry about making a new thread :'( . I really want to succeed in breeding this species, and i will be over the moon if they do.

15. DanBruv

If the firemouths lay eggs will i need to turn off pump or something? if so should i buy this: <a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sponge-Bio-Filter-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-Air-Pump-XY-2831_W0QQitemZ180364981810QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Fish?hash=item29fe973632&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A6%7C72%3A1686%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sponge-Bio-Filter ... 7C294%3A24</a>

16. buzz4520

here's some more info dan.

The Firemouth Cichlid is peaceful with tankmates except when spawning. During breeding they are aggressive towards other fish and especially towards smaller members of their own species.

During spawning, the male Firemouth Cichlid displays an impressive bluff, an aggressive stance where he inflates his fiery red throat sac and gill covers. It has been discovered by ethologists that the red coloring itself is intimidating to other fishes!
    They like a tank bottom of fine sand and plenty of hiding places among rocks and wood. Plants are also appreciated by the Firemouth Cichlid. Place hardy plants, such as Sagittaria, around the inside perimeter leaving an open area in the center for swimming. The plants should be potted to protect the roots.

17. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

They will spawn, don't worry. :D

You could use something like that but it's not always necessary. I never had any problems with the fry being sucked into the filter. Just make sure they don't spawn next to it or lead the fry around the filter intake.

18. buzz4520

i didn't realize that there was a forum linked to it....my bad. thanks for catching it, i'll try to be more carefull

19. DanBruv

Buzz4520 thanks for your information i have found it very interesting and its reasuring i have used the right substrate :) :D <3

20. buzz4520

your welcome dan. glad that i could help you out some. hope it all works out for you and they give you LOTS of healthy fry. lol