1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

firemouth trouble :'(

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by DanBruv, Aug 3, 2009.

1. DanBruv

DanBruv Thread Starter New Member

my female grew a longer dorsal fin so don't know if shes even a female no more, also shes ill cannot swim properly, i think the male abuses her, and i saw my male eat a live full grown guppy, dno what to do my dad wants me to get rid of em. any suggestions

2. gsoul55

gsoul55 New Member

Maybe you have 2 males.

3. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

can you seperate them or put in a tank divider ?

4. gsoul55

gsoul55 New Member

If you wanted to. They have tank dividers for cheap at petsmart or petco but they are kind of crappy. Better to go to a hardware store or home depot and have them cut you a piece of plexi glass to the inside dimensions of the tank then just drill in some holes yourself. Or just go to your lfs and see if they will swap a know female for 1 of yours.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

better yet, use lighting diffuser >>will allow water flow through and no need to cut holes in it since it's a open grid. (home depot/ lowes)

6. gsoul55

gsoul55 New Member

Sounds even better. I will have to remember that. How small are the holes in that stuff. I am always needing to make dividers for my fry tanks.

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

guesstimate would be 1/2" ...maybe a touch smaller.
    Defin no good for livebearer fry such as gupsters.