1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

first real plant

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by blowfishRus6, Feb 25, 2010.

1. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 Thread Starter New Member

finally found something i liked and wanted. dont know the actual name of it, kinda looks like mini elephent ears i would say. ill get a pic later.

anyways, its kinda large, got it from a plant shop and was told it will grow in water (not orginaly intended for water) but they said if i removed all the potting soil and placed it in gravel it should grow. the best thing is it was 9 bucks and its 4x's the size of the aquarium plant that i got for 5$

i hope this one does better than my other plant in there. wish me luck :D

really liked the look that it added to the tank. pics will be up soon.

2. James0816

James0816 New Member

Sounds like a lotus by the description. Red Lotus' are a nice addition to a community tank.

3. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

red lotus lily? sweet, my gup tank is going to have a lily cover on it with some red root floater mixed in.

4. blowfishRus6

dont mind the abnormal fish tank, i use car parts as decoration :D

ai441.photobucket.com_albums_qq133_blowfishRus6_SANY0730.jpg

ai441.photobucket.com_albums_qq133_blowfishRus6_SANY0729.jpg

and this is the one in my guppy tank that was 5$, i think i got an awesome deal on that other plant.

ai441.photobucket.com_albums_qq133_blowfishRus6_SANY0732.jpg

5. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

is that a defunct FWI?

6. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

The first pics looks as though it is some type of pothos and will die quickly underwater.

7. James0816

James0816 New Member

Definately not Lotus...and unfortunately...not aquatic either. Sry. :eek:(

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, that's a normal house plant. Can't remember the name of it... Grows like a vine.

9. blowfishRus6

the lady at the plant store said it will grow fine underwater. ill find out soon i guess.

but yea it was just a normal house plant that they had. i like the look of it and it gives the fish alot of leaves to swim thru. thats if it dont die.

10. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

It is a golden pothos and will begin to rot quickly in your tank. The leaves will begin to become translucent and they will rot destroying your water quality, not to mention it is really hard to tell what the soil that it is in has in it.

11. blowfishRus6

all the soil was washed off and it was planted in the gravel. she said if i did it this way it would grow underwater.

but im not expert and dont know. a few of the leaves are already rotted a little bit, but the same thing happend to my other plant that i got from home depot out of there pond. plants so far dont seem to like my tank and well i dont want to drop a lot of cash on some that do, or maybe they wont and its wasted money...

i hope it does good, i really like the plant set up itself with the big leaves and all.

what makes plants thrive??? i know lighting, but how much and at what percent. does a well turned over tank (im probably turning over atleast 800gph in my 75gal) and arrection help?? i know c02 helps but i dont really think im at that stage yet. there is also fertilizer you can put in the soil, but is there a plant i can just put in there and not worry about it? also is there any kind of fish that help plants???

basically looking for a 101 rundown

12. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Your aquarium plant isn't surviving because you never took it out of the pot. They need to be removed from their pots and the roots rinsed well then planted in gravel. The fert in the pots really stimulates algea growth and is strong and eventually burns the root of the plant. Just a basic overview

13. blowfishRus6

it is planted in the gravel and the soil washed off.

they were house plants tho and a plant shop.... but she said they might grow, i kinda think they might. idk. ill see.

but i was kinda wondering if there was any good plant technics to take with my tank if anything.

14. blowfishRus6

it is planted in the gravel and the soil washed off.

they were house plants tho and a plant shop.... but she said they might grow, i kinda think they might. idk. ill see.

but i was kinda wondering if there was any good plant technics to take with my tank if anything.

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

agree with the rest...that is defin. a house plant and not aquatic.
    Now I know there are a few that can be houseplants or grown submerged (as in aquarium), but I don't believe that one is one of them.

:eek: Car parts in an aquarium.
    my gosh, don't let my uncle see that...he'd rescue the parts and NOT the fish :)

16. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I was talking about the one in your guppy tank, If you did rinse it off it needs a bigger pot. Maybe some Flourish would help?

17. blowfishRus6

o in the guppie tank that is an actual aquarium plant in aquarium soil.

and dawn, trust me, if the car parts need to be used, they will deff be pulled out and used!!!! i guess instead of going and spending 15-20$ for decorations a peice i just use car parts that i have laying around. not everybodys aquarium is fuel injected :)

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I hear ya on the expensive tank decorations! In the past I've done terra cotta pots, strawberry planters (terra cotta), Black pvc tubes and t's, wal-mart cheapo pea gravel, and even pool filter sand! But I must say car parts never crossed my mind. Hahah!

19. blowfishRus6

anything i find laying around in the yard that i can clean up ill give it a whirl. find some unique shapes some times that you could not find at a store, and its FREE :)

do yall do anything different with plants in the tanks??? do you still use your normal water conditionars for water changes???

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

depends on what your adding plant wise.
    I did the entire seachem line before and it was heck of a expensive (flourish, flourish excel, flourish iron, phosphorous)...
    now with the high temps I run with the discus I'm not adding anything but the Prime before adding clean water back to the tank after partials (god bless the python no spill clean n fill creator).

I do, however have plant substrate (eco-complete) and use some (I believe they were hagen brand) plant sticks that supposively last a year.