1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

first real plant

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by blowfishRus6, Feb 25, 2010.

1. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 Thread Starter New Member

last a year huh?? might look into some of that.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

3. blowfishRus6

you seem to be right :)

all was good till my sumped messed up (not that it wouldent have gone bad anyways probably) once i refilled my water with added water conditioner they were dieing the next morning. o well.

is there any house plants that will grow submerged in water??? or do i have to get an aquatic plant??? i never see any aquatic plants like that one (i really liked it alot) with its size and what not.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

have your tried online aquatic plant retailers?

(I deal with aquariumplants.com because there shipping is affordable, plants are cheap, and have a large selection).

5. blowfishRus6

nah i aint tried online yet. thanks for the link.

what makes the plant different that some will grow underwater (will those plants grow out of the water???)

6. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Some aquarium plants will grow out of water but most of the plant needs to stil be submerged. Try xxx he has a great selection and the prices can't be beat.

7. blowfishRus6

after looking so far, it seems like swords are alot like what i had. i liked the big and bush style that the last plant had, and the fish really loved it, the smaller ones could get up in it and hide and the other fish kinda treated it like a big oak tree, would just kinda hang out underneith in the shade.

pic of the swords xxx

do you think i would run into any kind of issuies with these plants?? pretty easy growing plants??

8. HBIC

They usually require about 2 watts per gallon, glad to see you are looking at the site I told you about. Christian, the owner, is a great guy to deal with.

9. blowfishRus6

so 2 40w t5 bulbs for 75gal would come out to 1 watt per gallon. so pretty much i would need to run another hood and set of lights.

or modify this hood to put out 80w per bulb. do they sell 80w t5's?? dont think i have seen any (not that i have extensively looked) of if i modify this hood to 80w would that double the power of my lights only tho there only 40w lights??

10. blowfishRus6

11. HBIC

Hornwort I consider to be EVIL...LOL Be careful as it usually likes cooler temps.

12. blowfishRus6

haha why do you say that????

i want something that is big and bushy but i also kinda want something with stems and big leafs on top like the swords.

they said the hornwort was easy to grow and well i kinda like the look of it, thats why i said them.

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

haha, I like that...evil hornwort (I felt the same about the miracle grow purple cabomba). I had it (hornwort) in the 90g with the discus and the stuff took off (just under 90f with acidic 6.0 water). I eventually got tired of it and removed it...transfered a few pieces to the upstairs 10g...and have 1 piece in the downstairs 10g for the shrimps.

14. blowfishRus6

ahhh so it grows real fast???

i dont know if i would like that, dont really want to do maintence one it, just want to put it in there, have it look good and give back to the fish.

i really liked the plant i had, to bad it would not grow underwater :/

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

not as fast as cabomba, haha!
    maybe try a "mother" plant as online stores refer to them...that way you wouldn't have to wait for it to grow?

Indian swords are full & pretty (but I did iron dosing when I had them--red coloration in them).

16. blowfishRus6

yea i was looking into getting the larger ones if possible. not really trying to grow plants if you know what i mean, more so maintain them.

that brings me to another question, what does the red mean, i hear about how plants have red in them so you gotta do extra things or what not. more sensitive plant????

17. HBIC

Red usually requires more lighting, I have a couple of large swords I may be persuaded into selling ;)

18. blowfishRus6

ill pay shipping :p

got any pics???

19. HBIC

Please excuse the excess food since the pic was taken right after feeding, $20 to include shipping within the U.S.
    sword.jpg

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

post it in the trading section please (i'm sure it will move fast...to bad I don't have luck with anything on the sword family but the indian swords...plecos munch the others).

Red plants require higher lighting as you were told and normally chelated (sp) iron such as flourish iron.