1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Fish Are Swimming With Nose To Surface (Advice Needed)

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by Anonymous, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Help, my fish are acting weird

Okay, I'm a bit confused. If you had the water polisher in for three hours what were you using before ? Just the container filled with carbon ?

When you removed the water polisher did you put the same carbon back in the filter ?

2. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

ok for the record the carbon only last liek 48 hours tops and doesnt leech backin to the tank but like the wet dry filter the carbon will have the good guys growing on it aswell as the mesh cover that goes on it.
    it might be going thru the old tank syndrome meaning you removed the old filter therefore cutting the good guys down and making what was left work harder.

3. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

ok are you useing the filter pictured? if so you want the bio wheel going at all times cause that is where the good guys will grow second is that the only filter you are using? if so i wold suggest a sponge filter or another hang on the back filter for when you go to polish the water you still have a form of filtration going.
    I have the 350 mag going and a whisper 60 going on the big tank in the whisper i just run the white amm. chips in both side just for giggles and the carbon running in the Mag which i change out evry 2-3 weeks and once a month i break it down and clean the whole Mag system hoses etc and is the reason i keep the 60 running.
    I also have the H.O.T. 250 that i use to pollish after big water changes i unly use that for a day or so if that.
    I know that after i hunt and peck this out there will be like 6-10 posts where someone already covered all this.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Found a deceased angel, removed him, I am going to test the water again now. I was using the carbon filled filter with a sponge sleeve over it, stirred the substrate took out the carbor and put the water polisher in, when the water cleared took it out and put the carbon filter with sponge sleeve back into the filter. I also removed a plant that had died from the bottom up, it smelled horrible when I took it out.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I will add the filter back that I took off and I am going to throw in two ammonia bags. I have no bio wheel on this tank.

6. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

the only time i've seen my fish swimlikethat was to get air fromthe surface, i put in an airstone and everything went back to normal. i can't think of anything else but that.

7. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

i think someone already suggested a powerhead and i think Ant already in another thread said to put it in a sponge filter
    If you have them around it surely couldnt hurt.

8. crazhrse

crazhrse New Member

yea like i said a small powerhead should solve the problem ;)

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Ok, added the old filter back, it should still house the bacteria as I let it soaking in water. Also, I added the air stone and they all seem happy. The killies are still at the top, but I feel that this is normal for them. I took out the old, nasty cabon sleeve in the old filter and replaced it with a ammoium chips bag and a water softener bag that I had laying around, I feel they both will be great places for the bacteria to live. One of the bags has been in a filter the entire time and looks like a bacteria.

10. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

ummm aslong as you didnt have any problems in the tank the filter was in they should be fine

11. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

Sorry for the fishy loss :(

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks everyone, I think the air stone did it, I still think it looks terrible, but aparently the fish like it lol. As for the dead angel, I will be taking her back to petsmart on friday for an exchange, I do not think that I wil get another angel as the two Ive got remaining are swimming together happily.

13. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

sry for the lost, hope you get one just like it.

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

fish has moved on to bluer waters.
    Possibly thought to be lack of water circulation/oxygen related.