1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Fish & horse troughs...

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by Penycat, May 25, 2010.

1. Penycat

Penycat Thread Starter New Member

Okay, this is a new thing I'm trying. I've been considering it for years actually, but never put it to the test. But then the beginning of this year my husband brought me to Hawaii for our 10th anniversary and we went on a long horseback ride while there. They had these troughs all over their property and had these (quite beautiful) guppies in them...we're talking 100s at least in each one! Now, there troughs weren't under trees, but out in the full sun wide open. But the fish obviously were thriving there.

Now, I live in NC, hot summers and of course I won't leave them out there in the winter as there's no need anyway (no bugs) but in the summer time my 2 troughs are so full of mosquito larva that first I hate getting bit up all the time and I'm sure it's not good for my horses if they accidentally drink any. the years past I'd be dumping and cleaning out the troughs every week or so (still got bit up all the time) but that makes for so much mud and messy watering areas. So this year I'm trying it with feeder guppies in one and mosquito fish (Girardinus Falcatus ie Cuban Ditch Fish) in the other. My horses drink enough each day that I refill the troughs several times a week, so that's like their water changes, but there's no filtration other than the algae that grows on the bottom (bio)

Now don't slam me, but thoughts, comments? And I'll let you know how this turns out

2. nossie

nossie Member

Isn't there a chance that your horses might drink the fish? o_O
    Otherwise, I think it's a fun and probably pretty idea :) Can't see why the guppies wouldn't be fine in a place like that (With the algae) since they're so small, and in my experience, don't generate a lot of waste d:
    Speaking of waste, is it healthy for the horses to drink water that fish live in? And is it alright for the fish to live in water that is constantly being touched by animal noses/tongues/mouths?

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I actually think that sounds like a good idea as long as they aren't in the sun. NC can get pretty hot compared to HI. You may br able to just place a small piece of plywood on one side of the trough to provide some shade.

Like nossie said, would the fish fish waste bother the fish ?

4. Penycat

the fish will for sure swim away from big old horse noses so I would highly doubt that they'd get sucked up...my horses are pretty silly when it comes to drinking, they like to splash a bit first with their noses, I'm thinking they do this to get the larva away from their drinking spots which would also get the fish down to the bottom.

and yeah, both my troughs are shaded under big trees...come fall I won't be able to keep fish in there as the leaves make for very messy water. but it's starting to get cooler at night anyway so I'd be pulling fish in by then anyway.

As for fish waste and horses, I'm thinking not. you figure in the wild they drink from fish filled ponds and streams (course streams are running) and in HI I don't think they ever changed the water, they were on auto refill thingies with a toilet type system where then the floating ball dropped down too much, the faucet would auto refill...I wouldn't mind some of those myself! lol They had horses and cattle drinking from these so I figure must not hurt the horses.

course my vet is coming out in about a week to give first vac shots to the baby horse, so I'll be asking her for her opinion, but till then, I'll be watching:)

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'd worry about the horse munching them when getting water (not that I think fish in there diet would harm them, but then again I'm no horse owner).

If your vets coming over I'd simply ask about live fish in the horses diet. LoL!

6. Penycat

well so far today, each time I peek in there, the fish zoom down to the bottom of the trough...lol when horses drink, mostly they drink from the top 2-3inches of the surface, so there's tons of room for the fish to get away. That's the biggest problem though, the mosquito larva live in those 2-3 inches...grrr. If this doesn't work with the little fish, I have a few spare (unpaired) convicts that might go in for a big snack...snack for the fish, not the horses :)

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'm sure the fish will go to the top once they get used to their new surroundings and realize there is food up there.

8. James0816

James0816 New Member

The fish will scatter when the horse goes in to quinch his thirst.

As for the fish waste...I would be willing to say it wont bother too much as they drink from ponds and such already.

9. Penycat

that's what I'm hoping too.

Well day 2 and I see all fish accounted for. in the first trough there's way less larva already with the cuban livebearers, but in the second trough with the feeder guppies, doesn't look like anything has changed. I'll give that one a few more days, if I don't see a difference, I have a spare dwarf pike cichlid that could go in there I think with no problems. (his mate died a while back and I can't seem to find another one)

10. nossie

nossie Member

I would think that a cichlid might feel better with good water circulation + filtration in their homes... but it's not like I'm any expert on them either d:

11. Penycat

yeah, that's true, didn't think of that...well we'll see how the current guys do:)

12. nossie

nossie Member

Yeah, good luck! :D

13. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

What would be the difference between a trough and a pond? I've seen none filter ponds with fish in them and animals drinking from them all the time. Throw a couple of low profile pot of short growth plants in the bottom of the trough for filtration. It shouldn't take up much room in the trough I would think. After all my cats only drink from my open top tanks, They will not drink a bowl of water from the tap. They are as healthy as a "horse" pardon the pun.

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

How's this working out ?

15. Penycat

Right now, I'm in Raleigh for their annual fish auction, we left on Fri will go home tonight, but when i left they all seemed good. te one i put the tequilas in had no larva at all, the "mosquito" fish, there were still a lot...lol

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well lucky you ! I want some new fish. LoL

17. Penycat

Oh I'm so freakin' excited!!! I've been working in the fishroom all day getting things all changed around for my new guys. I have now ob peacocks and frontosas that'll go in the same 55g till they grow up enough to move into the 125. I'm working on a new hard water 30 to move my son's tiger limias so that I can move the peas and fronts into the 55 that's already hard water. I've been taking all day to acclimate them with a very slow drip.

Then I got a trio of checkerboard cichlids to add to my discus tank. I learned that the 125 they were in was too big which is why they weren't happy. SO they are now in a 55 with driftwood that I also got at the auction, and the checkboards. I'm adding leaf litter and have a whole bag of live black worms to add to it once the leaves drop *grin* oh will they be happy! I already see a difference, they aren't hiding as much anymore.

Then I got more fancy guppies to add to my Thai guppy tank. I figure that the Thais are hybrid anyway that now it'll be for color that I go for in that tank.

Then a few random things, plants, a light strip (which I realized I forgot there *blush*) a big old piece of drift wood, the black worms (1/2 pound) and a bit of food from Ken's place. Anyway, it was awesome and I sold more than I bought, so WHOOT!

Okay, back to the troughs...they are going well *grin*