1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

fish scraping on rocks

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by blowfishRus6, Dec 6, 2009.

1. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 Thread Starter New Member

ill try throwing some peas in there too.

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Seafood Mix
    1/2 lb Fresh Raw Tilapia
    1/4 lb Fresh Raw Salmon
    6 Medium US Wild Shrimp Raw
    1 Overripe Banana
    1 Clove Garlic
    Handful of Tetra Color Bits
    4 Baby Carrots
    about 1 leaves of spinach
    4 Flinstone Vitamins

Basically you puree it all up and freeze it... Yummy!

This was for discus but you can force a similar mix into those... nice mix of foods! Of course also you dont need to puree it as finely as I do either...

Discus can be picky eaters and ALL of mine tear this stuff up! (shhhh dont tell them its good for them!)

3. blowfishRus6

might have to try that. they dident really care for peas. they were sweet peas tho, dont know if that makes a diffrence.

4. LemonDiscus

By doing the mix they kind of get stuck eating the vegies because they are mixed in with the meat! :)

Eventually you wont have to mix but the mix is really good for them... My mix, each ingredient has a purpose for Discus....

5. blowfishRus6

good point.

ill need to do a little research on what each of the fish need.

6. LemonDiscus

Yup!

Its not much different though.... I used to keep Oscars...

7. blowfishRus6

will your mix that you mentined work well with the african cichlids??? i would like to get them on a healther food and bring out there colors more.

ive read a few diffrent types of mixes. europeon shirimp mix.
    ● 2 lbs. Whole Shrimp
    ● 2 lbs. Green Peas
    ● 2 tsp. Spirulina Powder
    ● 100 gms. Gelatin Powder
    ● 10 drops Liquid Multi-vitamins

here is another

AquaCon's Homemade Fish Food Recipe

Start with ANY greens, fruits and vegetables you can find. An example would include, but not be limited to: carrots, broccoli, yams, oranges, apples, Romaine lettuce, etc.

Put all the above in a blender or food processor.

Slowly add shrimp, crab legs (both with shells), and/or smelt. Do not use any fish that would contain high levels of oils, like herring or mackeral.

Blend mixture as fine as possible.

Add liquid vitamins or crushed tablets. You can also add Selco or Selcon. The mixture should have the consistancy of mud. Add some liquid to thin it up if it appears too thick. Carrot or sweet potato juice works well for this purpose as it is high in vitamin content. You can also use clam juice or water.

Next: Boil 100-150ml of water and add the same amount of unflavored gelatin. Mix the gelatin and vegetable mixture together. Pour the resulting mixture into a rectangle pan and allow to cool. You can place the mixture in the freezer but be sure to score the mixture before it is completely hardened to make it easier to separate later.

After the mixture is frozen you can separate the pieces and place them in freezer bags for use as needed.

i would like to have something i could make in a big batch and just get out the frezer every now and then.

8. LemonDiscus

Those look like decent foods too! The meats are the proteins and of course the vegies fill in the Vitamins and Minerals meats dont have...

Carrots help coloring in the fish
    Peas help digestion
    Spinach helps digestion
    Flake/Pellet food fills in micronutrients for the fish
    Flinstone Vitamins fill add more vitamins
    Shrimp is good clean protein low in oils
    Same with the Tilapia, Tuna, Salmon, and there are some other fish too that are good... also some bad ones....
    The gelatin is the binding agent and in mine its the banana that is the binding agent

Just giving an overview of what does what... You CAN create your own mix and you dont need to follow any recipe to a t....

9. blowfishRus6

thanks ;) sounds good.