1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Fluval G Series

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anthony, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

Just happen to notice this on Drs Foster And Smith. Not sure how long it's been out but they have it listed as new. All I can say is wow, it's pretty and I want one. :)

* Ultra-advanced aquarium canister filter with electronic monitoring system
    * New concept in aquarium filtration features easy, top-load media cartridges
    * LCD shows pump performance, conductivity and aquarium water temperature

FluvalCustom chemical filter cartridge at NO extra cost! Receive a FREE Phosphate Cartridge, Nitrate Cartridge*, or Tri-Ex Cartridge* with purchase of the cutting-edge Fluval G3 or Fluval G6.

Ultra-advanced aquarium filtration for a new generation of aquarists. Revolutionary canister filter takes convenience to a new level with truly innovative features AND smart technology. Powerful canister filter boasts unparalleled performance and versatility PLUS electronic LCD monitoring of filter function and water quality parameters (water temperature and electrical conductivity). Electronic self-diagnostic system continuously monitors water flow through the unit and features an alarm system that alerts user when parameters deviate from an acceptable range. Programmable schedule reminder helps you keep on top of filter maintenance.

Say good-bye to cumbersome layered media baskets and their mess! Canister filter maintenance is dramatically streamlined thanks to compartmentalized three-stage filtration. Both mechanical and chemical filter cartridges are independently accessible thanks to their cutting edge top-load cartridge design. High-capacity pleated mechanical filter cartridge traps significantly more suspended debris than conventional mechanical filter foam. Reusable chemical filter cartridge can be filled with your favorite chemical filter media OR purchase an extra Chemical Cartridge to treat water with specialized media of your choice for short durations. Large-capacity biological media baskets (2 in G3, 3 in G6) house Fluval G Bio-nodes, a high-porosity ceramic bio-media capable of accommodating billions of nitrifying bacteria crucial for efficient biological filtration.

Fluval G Series Premium Filter is ideal for freshwater or marine aquariums. Each G3 and G6 Filter includes: Mechanical prefilter cartridge, chemical cartridge filled with Fluval activated carbon, G-Nodes, 10 ft hosing, 2 cross rim assemblies, 2 rim attachments, telescopic intake with intake strainer, 1 output nozzle and extension and 2 spray bar attachments, AquaStop system, quick start guide, and instruction manual on CD.

Features:

* Stylish, space-saving cubic design
    * Enormous filtration capacity
    * Push button instant priming system
    * AquaStop valve disconnect system
    * Convenient aquarium rim attachment system
    * Adjustable clog-proof intake strainer
    * Dual return options (dual output nozzle or spray bars)

Replacement and additional G Series cartridges sold separately.

*Please note: Nitrate Cartridge and Tri-Ex Cartridge is for use with freshwater aquarium applications only.

Downloadable Fluval G Series Premium Filter Instructions PDF and Fluval G Series Premium Filter Quick Start Guide PDF.
    (Both require Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0 or later - get it here for free)

Phosphate Cartridge
    Directions:
    Remove cartridge from plastic bag and rinse quickly under running water. For proper filter placement, follow cartridge replacement procedures outlined in the Fluval G Filter manual.

It is suggested to regularly monitor the phosphate concentration in the aquarium water. When the concentration value starts to rise, it is time to use or replace the cartridge to ensure the continuous protection against phosphate accumulation.

General Information
    The Fluval G3 Phosphate Cartridge is for use with the Fluval G3 Advanced Filter and will rapidly remove up to 2,200 mg of phosphate ions from marine or freshwater aquaria.

In a 300L freshwater aquarium with an excess concentration of 1-2 mg/L phosphate concentration, the use of G3 Phosphate Cartridge will remove all the excess of phosphate within 1 or 2 days. If left in the filter, it will sustain a low phosphate level for a period of time that is strictly dependent on the type of aquarium (quantity and type of fish, type of fish food and so on). Phosphate is irreversibly trapped and bound and will not leach back into aquarium water. The continuous use of the G3 Phosphate Cartridge in aquariums with persistent phosphate problems is an effective solution against phosphate buildup. If used as a quick solution to reduce elevated phosphate concentration, the cartridge can be removed once levels have normalized and then stored until required.

The Fluval G6 Phosphate Cartridge is for use with the Fluval G6 Advanced Filter and will rapidly remove up to 3,900 mg of phosphate ions from marine or freshwater aquaria.

In a 600L freshwater aquarium with an excess concentration of 1-2 mg/L phosphate concentration, the use of G6 Phosphate Cartridge will remove all the excess of phosphate within 1 or 2 days. If left in the filter, it will sustain a low phosphate level for a period of time that is strictly dependent on the type of aquarium (quantity and type of fish, type of fish food and so on). Phosphate is irreversibly trapped and bound and will not leach back into aquarium water. The continuous use of the G6 Phosphate Cartridge in aquariums with persistent phosphate problems is an effective solution against phosphate buildup. If used as a quick solution to reduce elevated phosphate concentration, the cartridge can be removed once levels have normalized and then stored until required.

Nitrate Cartridge
    Directions:
    Remove cartridge from plastic bag and rinse quickly under running water. For proper filter placement, follow cartridge replacement procedures outlined in the Fluval G3 Filter manual.

General Information
    The Fluval G3 Nitrate Cartridge is for use with the Fluval G3 advanced filter and will remove up to 13,000 mg of nitrate ions in freshwater aquariums. Nitrate concentration should not exceed 20 mg/L in freshwater aquariums. Planted aquariums require approximately 5mg/L of nitrate as a source of nitrogen for healthy plant growth.

In a 300L freshwater aquarium with a 30 mg/L nitrate concentration, the use of G3 Nitrogen Cartridge will quickly remove all excess of nitrate in a couple of days. If left in the filter it will then maintain a low nitrate level for a period of time that is strictly dependent on the type of aquarium (quantity and type of fish, type of fish food and so on). Nitrate is irreversibly trapped and bound and will not leach back into the water. The continuous use of the G3 Nitrate Cartridge in aquariums with persistent nitrate problems is an effective solution against nitrate accumulation. If used as a quick solution to reduce elevated nitrate concentrations the cartridge can be removed once levels have normalized and then stored until required.

The Fluval G6 Nitrate cartridge is for use with the Fluval G6 advanced filter and will remove up to 24,000 mg of nitrate ions in freshwater aquariums. Nitrate concentration should not exceed 20 mg/L in freshwater aquariums. Planted aquariums require approximately 5mg/L of nitrate as a source of nitrogen for healthy plant growth.

In a 600L freshwater aquarium with a 30mg/L nitrate concentration, the use of G6 Nitrogen Cartridge will quickly remove all excess of nitrate in a couple of days. If left in the filter, it will then maintain a low nitrate level for a period of time that is strictly dependent on the type of aquarium (quantity and type of fish, type of fish food and so on). Nitrate is irreversibly trapped and bound and will not leach back into the water. The continuous use of the G6 Nitrate Cartridge in aquariums with persistent nitrate problems is an effective solution against nitrate accumulation. If used as a quick solution to reduce elevated phosphate concentrations, the cartridge can be removed once levels have normalized and then stored until required.

Tri-Ex Cartridge
    Directions:
    For new aquariums use Tri-Ex Cartridge at day one and test for phosphate/nitrate levels bi-monthly, when one or both ion levels start to rise again, it is time to replace the cartridge. For established aquariums, it is important to remove excess phosphate or nitrate levels through water changes or Fluval G Phosphate/Nitrate Cartridges prior to using the Tri-Ex Cartridge. For proper filter placement, follow cartridge replacement procedures outlined in the Fluval G Filter manual.

Fluval G3 Tri-Ex Cartridge
    Fluval G3 Tri-Ex Cartridge is for use with the Fluval G3 advanced filter and combines the binding power of Fluval G Phosphate, Nitrate and Carbon for an all-in-one pollution management solution for freshwater aquariums. With the continued use of Tri-Ex Cartridge, nitrate, phosphate and organic pollutants remain under control; the cartridge binds over 5,000 mg (or more than 15mg/L in a 300L aquarium) of nitrate and over 600 mg (or more than 2mg/L in a 300L aquarium) of phosphate. The specialized mesh size of the carbon component maximizes the surface to volume ratio for optimized performance.

Fluval G6 Tri-Ex Cartridge
    Fluval Tri-Ex cartridge is for use with the Fluval G6 advanced filter and combines the binding power of Fluval G Phosphate, Nitrate and Carbon for an all in one pollution management solution for freshwater aquariums. With the continued use of Tri-Ex, nitrate, phosphate and organic pollutants remain under control; the cartridge binds over 9,000 mg (or more than 15mg/L in a 600L aquarium) of nitrate and over 1,100 mg (or more than 2mg/L in a 600L aquarium) of phosphate. The specialized mesh size of the carbon component maximizes the surface to volume ratio for optimized performance.
    FluvalG.jpg adinfo-71457-main-menu.jpg adinfo-71457-temp-menu.jpg adinfo-71457-global-menu.jpg adinfo-71457-alert-menu.jpg adinfo-71457-cond-menu.jpg

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

my lfs has had them for a few months give or take...too much technology for me>>would be a nightmare electronically if something were to fail.

The last time I was at the lfs they had a customer on the phone that was having issues with one...
    I know last time I was there at the lfs a customer was calling about one...she was trying to explain to the workers something about an ?error that she was receiving over the phone and the employee was telling her to rinse the filter and replace it and that the filter should come back on as fully operational (apparently some sort of safety feature)....but she was telling them that doing that made no difference and that she had called earlier and been given the same advice and wanted someone to come out and service this several hundred dollar filter that she had just had installed (apparently they went to her home and set everything up for her?).

After hearing that convo (was waiting for them to ring up my order) Guess I kinda favor going with something that's already been established.

3. Anthony

LoL Dawn, that was a little repetitious.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

haha, fixed...I was fixing it for fluidity. lol!
    (perfectionist)

5. Anthony

Oh okay. LoL I was wondering what you were doing as you submitted that.

It's still pretty though and I want one. I like technology.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

okay, you can get one...but then you have to get me one too so we can compare!
    I agree it's pretty...but in my cabinet it wouldn't even show anyways.

7. Anthony

At 500.00 for the G6 it doesn't look like I'll be getting one anytime soon.

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

yep, that's one heck of a beasty price tag...for that price the darn thing better do everything itself (including the partials..cartridge rinses..and maint-cleaning itself). :)

9. Anthony

Seriously. And prune the plants !

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

hey, I like that...plant pruning too! And if it could dose...I'd marry the darn thing!

11. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Came out in November of last year, the thing is SERIOUSLY overpriced but has come down a bit since its introduction. My theory is yes it has some good things about it but also if you need a machine to tell you to do a water change then you probably have no business keeping tanks ;)

12. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

lol, it's too techy for me. it'll prolly malfunction in a month or so then explode...

13. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I'm having budget problems just trying to save for a Rena XP3! LOL That's the one I want! Not an electronic geek so the new technology doesn't impress me.

14. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

I don't if I'm impressed or not
    I think Hagen Fluval should send me one to test
    but no they send me a 6 gallon tank that I can only put plants in

Rick

15. Anthony

They sent you a 6 gallon tank ?

16. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

17. Anthony

Ohh okay.

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I have the xp4's and love the tall beasts! ;)

19. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I know, You're the one with all your praise about yours who got me doing research on them now I want one. LOL

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

If you're really looking for one you may wanna check ebay (if you pm I can give you the sellers name to watch)...got really good deals on mine there!

Review of Rena Filstar XP4 - Aquarium Filtration System