1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

foggy water

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by Anonymous, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

100gallon tank(150lbs LR, 150lbs LS,salfin tank,blue tang, 5 damsel, 10 hermit crab, 6 turbo snail, 3 powerhead)
    55gallon sump/refuge(chaeto, 30lbs LS, 10lbs LR,copod, carbon at the pump, filter sock, skimmer)
    water test:
    PH:8.0
    cal:480
    sanlity:1.025
    ammonia:0-.25
    nitrite:0
    nitrate:5.0

i dont know y my water is always foggy. i just change the water yesterday and also just top some off today. it stay foggy for about 4-5 hrs and than it clear up. i kind of thinking its the food. i feed them about 4-6 time a day. i no that a little too many but i was told that if they eat a lot than they will grow bigger faster. when i look in the sump, its nice and clear in there. the carbon is about 3 days old. any idea on wat i should do. i dont use any chemical on my tank. also i just wash my filter sock 2 day ago.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You should not have ammonia showing up in your water. You need to get that down to 0 ASAP. The ammonia could be due to the dead goby or the majorly excessive amount of food you're feeding them. That being said don't feed them that often, ever. If the LFS told you that, find another store. If they're giving advise like that they will likely give you more bad advise.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

i got the feeding advise from a friend. he feed them about 3 time a day and his fish got hella big in about 3 year. so i decided to give it a try. lol. should i only feed once a day?
    the water is still foggy. and no sign of the goby. should i take out all the rock to look for him? is that a good idea or no.
    is feeding tang lettuce a good idea too. i no they eat sea wheat.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, feed them once MAYBE twice. If you feed them twice do two very small amounts.

Did you do a water change to remove the ammonia ? That will also remove some of the cloudiness.

Do you have a protein skimmer ?

You should feed him marine based seaweed and algae.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

lettuce, iceberg that is, has no nutritional value what so ever for humans, so I cant imagine it being that great for fish. Has your tank ever cycled?

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

my water test is in the first post. i think it cycle by now.

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

i do have a skimmer. it rated for a 125gallon. its pulling out a lot of brown/black stuff. i also jsut did the water change 2 day ago, about 10gallon.

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You need to do a water change now. About 50%. The ammonia in your water will harm/kill the fish.

9. genettico

genettico New Member

Dont panic! Doing several water changes to a "UN-found" cause can just create more issues than help. You already know you might be feeding too much, so stop doing that!
    It is NATURAL for your water to be a little foggy after a water change. Sometimes this is attributed to the salt mix not being properly mixed before, so aereate and circulate your water before doing water changes. Make sure your water is matched as close as your tank's parameters (specially temperature). Changes in PH,SG ect between your tank's water and your changing water sometimes induces small die offs of bacteria inducing small spikes of ammonia. THis is also normal, and in most cases will subside after a few hours. Are your fish acting ok? Are they stressed? Do they seem to behave differently than normal? If not, then let your tank's bioload control what could just be organics floating in the water or small patches of bacteria feeding on residual ammonia caused by food, death of a fish, or water changes. Doing another water change now will ONLY dilute what could be some ammonia that could easily be consumed in a few hours! You can feed your fish once daily or every other day! It is my experience most people OVERFEED their fish thinking they are hungry all the time, and the fish dont die of starvation but high levels of ammonia caused by un-eaten food particles and extra fish feces! I tell people: "... you are gonna kill your fish in their own poop..." literally!

Hope this helps!

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

the water clear up now. i only feed them once a day now for the pass 3 day and it have been the clearest. thank guy.

11. genettico

genettico New Member

Nutrients and bacteria dis-balance is a tricky task to learn! Seems you are on your way! good going!