1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Found African Fry

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by buzz4520, Aug 16, 2009.

1. buzz4520

buzz4520 Thread Starter Well-Known Member

just before doing tank maintenance saturday morning i was looking around in the tank to see about what we could to do to change things up in the tank. i noticed something moving under one of the ordiments, took a closer look and discovered aliitle fry, it's about 1/2 inch. my wife and i then starting to look even closer and she found one under a proped up sea shell, it's about 1/4 inch. i made a fry box out of a plastic q-tip box w/lid, drilled several tiny holes, made a bracket and hung in the tank. we were able to catch the little ones and put them in the fry box, checked on them a while latter and discovered that the tiny one had sliped out of the box, think it was able to get out where the lid snaps onto the box. haven't found it yet, we hope it made under cover, but chances are it became a snack for one of the others. sorry the pics aren't clearer. this fry is a mixed/hybrid (won't be sold or given away, we'll keep it).

011.JPG 013.JPG 014.JPG 015.JPG

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

omg! it is sooo cute. Any clue who the parents are?
    can't wait to see it as it matures (what the colors/markings will be).

3. buzz4520

we think the dad is the socolofi, he's the tank boss and in his log cave thingy, he had moved just about all gravel out down to the glass. we think the mom may be the red zebra. as far as i know it's not the bumblebee cause i believe he's male, when he was the dominant one he would turn almost black and from what i know only the males will do that. i don't think it could be one of the others because they are about 3 inch, didn't think they bred until they get to adult size.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

still can't wait to see it once it's of size!

5. buzz4520

we can't wait either. the strange thing is, we never seen any of them holding and their hasn't been any aggression out of the norm. now that we know there's at least 1 female, would like to get another tank for breeding/grow out and get a matching male for the female.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

sounds like a good plan..the 2nd tank for growout.
    You'd think you would have seen something off, but then again if you have hiding places throughout the tank as most cichlid owners do I can see how a couple fry could have been missed and that would explain the not seeing out of the norm too (hiding well)?

7. buzz4520

she may not be laying that many eggs cause from the ones that i've seen that were holding had like puffy faces form holding 20 plus eggs and not eat for like a week or two. we would like to get a 75 or 90 to put the africans in and use the 55 as the breeding/growout tank. the first time we found fry there was 3 (didn't get them out in time and were someones snack) and this time we only found 2.

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

hmm...agrees with the thought that there had to be more but became someones munchy

90g would be a nice size (what i have) and 55 for growout would be perfect imo

9. buzz4520

i'm leaning towards a 90. for now i think we'll just get the 5 gal set up for this little one, can't stay in the box too long and it can't go in the main tank for awhile. all ready got the filter for it "seeding" in the 55. i've never had to deal with fry so how big should i let this fry get before we put it in the 5 gal and should we get something else to put with it that won't eat it to help keep the parameters in order???

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

if your doing a 5gal I'd say a simple sponge filter and heater would do the trick. I wouldn't recommend putting anything else with it (besides other fry of the same species).

As soon as the tank is testing cycled i'd stick him in. (You can use that tetra Safe Start if need be)

11. buzz4520

ok thanks. we'll have to get a heater, my youngest got ahold of the one we had for the 10gal and broke it. i've got the stuff to make a sponge filter.

12. buzz4520

here are who we think is the ma(red zebra) & pa(socolofi - the blue one) of the fry.
    013.JPG 009.JPG

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

wow, that should be a pretty fish when it gets of size then.

14. buzz4520

thanks dawn, that's what we're thinking too. hopefully when they spawn next time we can catch it sooner and save more than just 1.

15. buzz4520

early this evening my son was looking around in the african tank and found another fry hiding under one of the ordiments. we're think it was the one that escaped from the fry box. it's under good cover so we hope he stays ther for awhile before we try to get it out.

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I hear a covert rescue mission in the making. Lol!
    Hopefully he hides well...VERY well.

17. buzz4520

so far it's hiding very well, it's still there. the hardest thing is trying to get food down to the little guy. we put off the rescue mission for now. the alphs male has got one of the other fish (female we think) held captive in his cave and has been doing his "thing" coming in and out of the cave with all fins flared and keeping all other fish away. to ensure the safety of the fry that's hiding we would have to remove the older fish and take out the decor to get it out. if there's more mating going on we don't want to stress out the fish more than they all ready are, so we'll just let nature take it's course and get out what we can.

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Turkey baster for feeding (they sell a skinny one in the fish stores...I think they call it squeeze and squirt TARGET feeder..but they run about $20)..Turkey baster @ $1.00 store...$1.00 of course! Lol!

19. buzz4520

hey!! never thought of that. i'll have to look around in the kitchen,i think we may have one, we'll just sterilize it and put it to good use.

20. buzz4520

this is the one the alpha male had captive and i'm about 95% sure she is holding now. this pic is from a couple weeks ago.

my question is: is there a way we can get her out of this tank and put her in another with out her swollowing/spitting out the eggs? we would like to keep as many of them as we can. if they hatch in the main tank it'll be like the others and become snacks.
    025.JPG