1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Found African Fry

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by buzz4520, Aug 16, 2009.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

why not use a sheet of light diffuser from your local hardware store and make a diy divider? Then you won't have to mover her.
    tank_divider018.jpg

2. buzz4520

buzz4520 Thread Starter Well-Known Member

we thought about a divider also but we're thinking more about after the fry become swimmers and getting them out of the main tank verses if we can safely get her into the smaller tank then when they become swimmers we could just get her out and put back in the main tank and let the fry grow out. it was really hard to catch the couple fry we have now cause they can hide in the gravel. i guess we're at the point where it's "6 of one and half dozen of the other" lol...

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

you could purchase a penn plax divider---I believe those are the ones with the microfine mesh screen (like the netting on a brine shrimp fish net)

4. buzz4520

we'll come up with something, we have a little time. if i'm not mistaken, she'll hold them for 2 weeks. what gets me is how when she came out of the cave that none of the others bothered her one bit, we thought for sure she would get harassed.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

yeah, I would think the same too since that's typically the case with all fish.

6. buzz4520

i guess you can say that we're just a little excited about it also :D when we set up the tank it was suppose to be an all male, but as you can see it didn't happen that way.

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Hey, I'd be geeked too finding fry when I thought I hadn't had a chance at having any.
    How's the one in hiding doing and the one in the (lol) Q-tip container doing?

8. buzz4520

the fry that's hiding is doing fine, i think it knows that it's in a safe place. the other in the diy q-tip fry box is doing fine also. now the one that's holding, well some of the others started picking on her and she had spit out at least 6 eggs that i know of. they we're really starting to stress her out so with some quick thinking i turned out the lights and covered the tank with a small planket and within a few minutes things calmed down in there.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

glad to hear you found an easy solution to the aggression, hopefully she won't release any more eggs!
    *fingers crossed for ya*

10. buzz4520

thanks. latter today when i do the wc i'm going try to see if i can't get her out, going to see if i can get her into a large measuring cup rather than try to net her. we don't have anything to make a divider and won't be able to get on til middle of next week. i don't think it'll be a good idea keeping them in the dark til the fry is ready to be released.

11. buzz4520

when i did the wc on the tank i tried to see if i could get her out, she wouldn't have anything with it. i did notice that she had released somemore eggs. she is still holding some.

12. buzz4520

well this evening my wife noticed that a couple of this fish trying to get into the little frys hiding spot...it took us about 15min to get the little guy out and he's now in the 5gal with the other one. also we're able to get the female out that's holding and put her in the 10gal.

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

glad to hear the mission went well (awards the cov. gold star). Haha!

14. buzz4520

thanks dawn. the 2 young fry are doing good. mom-to-be is adjusting ok in the 10g.

15. buzz4520

here are a couple pic of the fry that were found/rescued from the other fish. the 2nd pic is the one that had got out of the fry box and we thought had become a snack.
    008.JPG 011.JPG

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Very pretty, (iridescenty looking)

17. angelLuver

angelLuver New Member

sooo cute,love the colors !!! looks like a lil pearl

18. buzz4520

thanks dawn & angel. they are really cute, we can't wait until the one that's holding to release little swimmers which should be in a week or so. now that we know that there's atleast 2 females in the tank we would like to mate them 1 or 2 more times with differest males to see what comes from them. i'm going to use this as leverage to my wife to get another (bigger) tank, if she wants more fry, need more tank room, don't want more fry, then need another tank to seperate male and females. either way i think we'll be getting another tank here sometime.

19. angelLuver

angelLuver New Member

LOL buzz !!! sounds like a good plan !

20. buzz4520

yup yup ! ! just have to wait and see how it plays out. ;)