1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Found African Fry

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by buzz4520, Aug 16, 2009.

1. angelLuver

angelLuver New Member

keep us posted !!! lol

2. buzz4520

buzz4520 Thread Starter Well-Known Member

i sure will...i knew when we got the 55g for the africans we should've waited a little while and got a 75 or 90g.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I love my 90g, but I'm short so I need a step ladder to reach into it. Haha!

Fyi for those who don't already know...a 55g has the same footprint as a 90g and 110g...and all use a 48" light fixture :)

4. buzz4520

i'm 5' 10" and depending on what i have to do in the tank, i have to use a step ladder on the 125.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

is equivalent to one blue smurf --> 5'1

6. buzz4520

lmao !!!! you would love my 125 then, floor to the top of the tank is 4' 7". custom built stand and it's a little taller than i would've built it.

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

hmm..sounds like a mighty nifty swimmy pool to me. haha!
    Now just to remove the fish and add the rubber duckys.

8. buzz4520

[rofl] [laughing]

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I always tease my lil nephew about sticking him in the 90g with the fish and telling him it would be easier to clean if he'd just go in there and scrub the corners with a toothbrush. haha!

10. buzz4520

lmao !!! if you were to say that to my 5yr old, he would ask you for the toothbrush and the stepstool. [laughing]

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

wish I knew that ahead of time...wouldn't have had to get soaked cleaning up mine from the gsa episode a while back.
    Lol!

12. buzz4520

we've got FRY SWIMMERS !!!!!!!!!!
    she had released them sometime this morning. they are so tiny and cute. we tried to get a count but the little buggers won't stay still...after several counts and recounts we know that there is 15 - 20. try to get some pics and post them soon.

when should we pull the mother out of the tank?? after we seen thast she had released the fry we had put some food in the tank for her and the fry. i know that the mama has to be hungry, she held the eggs for about 3 weeks and hasn't eaten and didn't want her to eat the fry.

also could we put the fry from today with the 2 fry that's about 1 1/2 months old ?

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

can't answer your questions as no experience in that area, but a BIG congrats on the fry!

14. buzz4520

thank you dawn !!
    i took a few pics of the new fry but this is the only desent one so far. i'll try to get more tomorrow. there are a couple of them in the lower left corner and some by the bubble thingy and the green marbels.
    017.JPG

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

haha, I spotted the one by the green marble (to the left front of it).
    Just wondering what the marbles are for? Or are they just for decoration?

16. buzz4520

the marbels are suppose to be in the little plastic container to weigh it down. mama decided that she didn't want all of them in there and brought some out. she had set up this corner of the tank and for the most part the fry stay in this corner of the tank, she even moved the windmill bubbler thingy. i think she was also playing with the marbels, you can hear her pushing them around from the other room.

17. buzz4520

here's a better pic of the new fry. from the help of pics, we've counted up to 25 fry.
    004.JPG

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

omg...too cute! I'm amazed, they appear to be descent size (look bigger than a molly baby) :)

19. buzz4520

i would say they were about 1/4inch when she released them, a little bigger than i thought, she's only 3 inch herself. just think she had all of these in her mouth. talk about lockjaw..haha

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

wow, I find that amazing (the mouth holders)...especially the part about being able to sustain when they don't eat for sometimes up to weeks!