1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Found African Fry

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by buzz4520, Aug 16, 2009.

1. buzz4520

buzz4520 Thread Starter Well-Known Member

she had held them for about 3 weeks. before we got her out of the main tank, i seen her spit out 6 eggs. i've heard that some african can hold as much as 50 eggs. i think it's all just amazing.

2. buzz4520

the other day i finally got a positive of the female that just had the babies. so the mama is a metriaclima greshakei and the papa is a pseudotrphues socolofi. can't wait to see how there going to look. as the fry are a mixed breed we are going to keep all of them, none will sold, traded, or given away. i told my wife that when they get big enough and start to show coloring that we would decide on which ones and how many we want to keep and give the rest to the oscars and dempsey. right now she (my wife) wants to keep all of them, i said that we'll need a bigger tank and she says that when the time comes we'll just have to get a bigger tank. ;) if that's all that would've taken to get a bigger tank, i would've had a breeding pair sooner instead of finding one by accident. lol

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

haha. nice way to get the tank upgrade.
    Bet your watching craigslist for one as I type this. Hehe!
    I soo know I'd be at the lfs bringing home a beast and saying it was on "sale" lmdao!

4. buzz4520

oh yeah...check out craigslist about 3-4 times a week, have found some great deals, but timing was off.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I check them frequently too..just no room :(

6. buzz4520

i've got the room just a little short on the $$$ right now.

7. buzz4520

now that we took mama out and put in some decor the lil fry are starting to explore the tank more.
    019.JPG

8. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Very cool! Always good to have babies!

9. buzz4520

thanks lemon..we thought we had an all male tank, but nature told us different. haha

10. LemonDiscus

Were you trying not to have babies? Maybe its just me but I always want males and females.... But then again, I keep a whole different type of fish... I never got into the Africans...

11. buzz4520

yeah..that's what the plan was. we wanted to have a mixed community with a variety of colors, so we decided to go with the males because they usually have the better colors.

12. LemonDiscus

Again, I am ignorant when it comes to Africans... MOST SA/CA Cichlids I have worked with there is no difference in sex that is visible....

Hey, the way I see it is if you have babies you can re-stock your own tank for little cost :) (of course the food, waterchanges and time ARE a cost.... :confused: )

13. buzz4520

that's the way i'm starting to think...now we do have 3 oscars (2 albino,1 tiger) also and if we end up with a breeding pair from them i don't know what we'd do!!

14. LemonDiscus

Oscars are VERY VERY hard to breed.... they need HUGE tanks with sand bottoms (I worked with Oscars before)

They dig pits in the sand until they hit solid (whether its a rock or the bottom of the tank) and then spawn in the pit...

What size tank do you have the 3 Oscars in again?

15. buzz4520

they are in a 125g and have gravel.

16. LemonDiscus

they may not spawn but may try to pair although they can move gravel easy too if they want... IF they pair... that odd one out will get killed! :)

Im sure you know that though.... ;)

17. buzz4520

oh yeah..they can move the gravel all right..have to straighten it out atleast 3 times a week..lol we're just waiting on the day we have to seperate them, i hope not but i'm sure we'll have to at some point.

18. LemonDiscus

I had a full grown male and he moved ALL the gravel to one side (all the way to bare bottom) to the other side creating a mound of gravel about 8" deep on the other...

I came upstairs and scratched my head like "what on earth!?!?" :)

19. buzz4520

lmao...mines not that bad yet !! they'll make little pits and move the fake bushes around.

20. LemonDiscus

The pits are a sign of nesting... probably early nesting behavior.... usually from what I saw it was the males that did this more often... although the females usually come back to the pit the male started and cleans it out some more...