1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Found African Fry

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by buzz4520, Aug 16, 2009.

1. buzz4520

buzz4520 Thread Starter Well-Known Member

hopefully then the albinos are males then, they are the ones that like to make the pits. the tiger will move the bushes around, it's got one of them just about tore up.

2. buzz4520

sorry i haven't been on much in the past week, started a new job and it's an over an hour drive to and from work.
    the african fry are doing good, getting big and eating like little pigs. we found one of the fry dead, don't know what had happen to it, didn't look like it got beat up or anything, just one of those things i guess. i'll try to get some pics up soon, camera got miss placed somewhere.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

glad to hear the larger majority is doing well, coulda have been a weaker fry?

4. buzz4520

i have to agree with you dawn, it could've been a weak bunch of fry. we didn't know what to expect at first seeings how they are a mixed breed and as far as we know it was her firt set of fry. we are very surprised as to the number of fry she had and how wheel they are doing.

still haven't found the camera yet, when i do, i'll post some pics.

5. buzz4520

we finally was able to find the camera...here are a few pics of the fry...if they keep growing like they are, we'll need to get them a bigger tank sooner than we had planed on.
    180.JPG 182.JPG 184.JPG

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Wow, so pretty....your water is like glass!
    Not even asking about how much & frequency your going at with them.
    I like the decor too...better than having just fish...gives them a few things to hide behind.

7. buzz4520

thanks dawn...this tank gets about 3-4 gal water change once a week and we figured it would be best to have something (decor) in there for them hide/play in.

8. buzz4520

update: went to feed the fry this morning and i saw one floating, i called out to my wife that one of the fry is dead, she came over to the tank and when i turned on the tank light we discovered that ALL 27 fry are dead ! we both had blank looks on our faces....woundering "what in the world" happened??????????????????????????????? i looked at the therometer and shouted "they got cooked" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! therometer only reads to 90*F and it was clear at the top. i opened the lid and instantly could feel the heat. poor little buggers. and to top it off, my 5 yr old got to see this before leaving for school. we were planning on in the next week or so on getting a bigger tank for the adults and putting they fry in the 55g.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

10. DarkDemolition

DarkDemolition New Member

Sorry to hear that...

11. buzz4520

thanks guys...the heater is an elite(less than 6 month old) and malfuntioned, i turned the dial all the way down and it still runs. i don't think we'll buying another one of those again.

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

man, sorry to hear that. That really bites!
    I suggest using a tom temperature alert (i have them) with the next heater...I'm running stealths on the 90g & a Rena Smart heater on the 10g...however I've had 2 rena heaters that went screwey so I'd go stealth.

Oh, Ebay has some great prices on new stealths in addition to the tom temp alerts.

13. buzz4520

thanks dawn, we'll definatly check into the temp alert thingy.

14. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

dang, sucks about the heater.

you have some VERY clear water tho. im sitting here thanking dang he took the fish out of the tank and took a picture......

im hoping to get a female in the next couple of weeks and take on this journey. any advice??

15. buzz4520

if your trying/wanting to breed then you may want to go with 1m to 3fm, they'll be less aggression on just a single female. we didn't even know for about a year that we had a female until we found fry. we had set up the african tank to be a mixed male community, we were told when we bought the female that she was a male sprengerae but turns out she is a greshakei. so i myself is actually "new" at the fish breeding thing. the only other advise that i can give you is to make sure that there's plenty of hidding places for the female(s).

16. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

yea ive been trying to set up alot of hiding places for when the time does come.

the LPS dont really sell females, the one in town does not and none of the petsmart do. i have looked online but it seems they sell the fish as fry. i want a 100% sure female. but cant seem to find that.

do you know any sellers that have adult females??

17. buzz4520

i haven't dealt with any on-line fish suppliers yet so i can't help you there, sorry. the lfs i deal with have both sexes as juvies and adults.

18. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

i wish my LPS was like that. they have juvies, but i think some how the breeders can kinda tell what they are going to turn into (if that is possible) they all seem to become males. i have a kenyi juvie right now, maybe it will turn female.

19. buzz4520

i noticed this morning when i fed the africans that my female greshakei is holding again...she came up to the front of the tank and showed me that she has a mouth full of eggs.

20. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

i want a female!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha congrats man. sounds like your gonna start to have alot of fry. seems to be a frequent occurence.