1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

fresh water crabs

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by NoThing29, Aug 3, 2009.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I wouldn't..hermit crabs require more land and less water (just enough to drink from a sponge). Probably different foods also!

2. B Haley

B Haley New Member

NoThing29, Type "Freshwater Crabs" into your search bar... then try " Brackish water Crabs" Bet you will come up with alot.

Sorry Mods, But I think this person just wants to brag on the "cool" find he got without the slightest knowledge about them... its all about responsibility.

3. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Two-thirds of all species of freshwater crabs may be at risk of extinction according to recent studies. Red List assessments have found that all 1280 known freshwater crab species are at risk while one in six species are at a risk of extinction in the next 5 years

Rick

4. NoThing29

NoThing29 Thread Starter New Member

@ MOD_Dawn :
    ah ok thx :)
    so i'll try to avoid buying them hermits :D

@B Haley:
    ok... thx for the tip.. but are you trying to say im bragging on "cool" find?
    well im not ok... Im just asking around for more advice for my crabs...

@cooltow1:
    oh my.. i didnt know freshwater crabs are at risk of extinction honestly... but i cant possibly give them back to the fish shop and let them earn extra by reselling them can i? >.<
    and i also cant possibly release them into foreign lakes can I? :)

5. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Never consider leasing an exotic or none native animal into the environment! This just reinforces the need to research all the livestock you are considering
    before you buy.

Rick

6. NoThing29

NoThing29 Thread Starter New Member

yea.. i understand... but its just so tempting to get these little guys.. they look so cute and i was prepared to keep them for life :D