1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Frontosa Breeding Advice (Wanted)

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Anonymous, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I was given a group of Mpimbwe Blue Frontosa a few months ago, I currently have them in a 125 gallon setup with a ph level of 8.2, I've been researching online about breeding but have had no luck. I have a couple small catfish in the aquarium as well, should I only have the primary fish in there for breeding? Here's a picture of them, they are really cool fish.

ai67.photobucket.com_albums_h313_DCDNLOVE_DSC01457.jpg

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Any Advice

What type of catfish are they ? They shouldn't have any effect on breeding.

Are you doing weekly water changes ?
    Are you sure you have one of each sex ?
    What are you feeding them ?

3. gangstafish

gangstafish Member

How's the Nitrates,Nitrites,Ammonia,temperature? We could help if we knew a little more about the tank. How many males,females? What kind of lighting?

4. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

try doing water changes more frequent and feed them frozen brineshrimp and or bloodworms.

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I've also heard (assuming water parameters and everything else are correct) that fasting the fish for a few days helps.

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

as does a MINOR temp elevation...your other fish should have no bearing on these guys reproducing, provided you have a male and female for sure..

7. dye2fish

dye2fish New Member

My fish done better alone. Personal oppinion

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

sometimes africans can be strange. my friend bought a breeding colony of fronts from a guy who needed money gave him a bunch of the fry too. well he had them in the same size tank basically the same water conditions and those fish took almost a year to start spawning again. it could be a lot of factors though. lighting could be a issue shadows stupid stuff like that can spook the fish and they won't breed.

just take your time do your water changes and feed them on a regular basis and they will start producing. I would take the catfish out just encase they could be eating the eggs while the fish are laying them..

9. MIKEJ0226

MIKEJ0226 New Member

They could have been spawning before you got them. Sometimes some of my cichlids will take a little vacation from breeding. I've had them stop for up to 6 months before.

10. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

wow given how generous lol maybe try giving them more live and fatty foods blood worms earth worms etc

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

That is an awesome thing to be given first off! secondly, it may be the stress of moving/getting used to their new tank. Like previously stated they may not breed again for a while. we do need to know if they have ever bred before, and the water parameters in order to give any more advice though.

12. CichlidStorm

CichlidStorm Member

fronts are and are not finicky. The easiest way, assuming your water is set, is to turn off the lights, and stop feeding for 3-5 days. They will spawn underfasting as was mentioned above. This had been a technique I have used readily over the past 15 years of breeding them, and it works very well.