1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Fully Aquatic Frogs (Questions & Advice)

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Leslie, Jul 29, 2008.

1. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl New Member

Re: African Dwarf Frogs

yea, i'll need to do something, especially with them hiding so much

2. California Cowgirl

kk :D and yea, i have been noticing one of them jumping to the water's surface, not sure which one, but there's one that hides behind the tree, and i can't get a good look at the belly but it might be that one, cause i havent seen the one that hides in the tree, (hopefully it's still alive)

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Haha Nelson, but she might want the surgical experience...Fun sucker...Just kidding. Yea, those clear breeders are nice. I have the Hagen 5 in 1 and it would give them a nice amount of room, has a lid, and is completely see through since it's plastic and not mesh. I think I paid $8 for mine at the lfs (and their prices are typically high). http://www.petsolutions.com/default.aspx?ItemId=15510936&EID=15510936&SID=FROOGLE the link will show you what i'm talking about.

4. California Cowgirl

i think i have one somewhere in the garage, from when my sis and i had some fish way back in the day, and both frogs are alive, i saw the one in the tree move

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Yea, their reclusive lil buggers...however when food comes in such as black worms..look out! They'll defin be out and about then. No worries, sounds like your doing everything right and defin much better than any pet store would do for them. IMO they already are better off regardless if it's dropsy, needing an enema (j/k), being prego, or just hoarding food for the winter (jk).
    :)

6. California Cowgirl

hahaha, thanks :D i'm hoping when i get the pots tomorrow, that both of them will come out more once in a while they'll jump up to the surface, and i'll see thee air bubbles that the make rise to the top

7. California Cowgirl

the bloated frog is out, the belly is nice and flat and normal looking again, deff not as big as it was

8. California Cowgirl

only non blurry pic that i just took
    028.JPG

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

froggy looks good now, it could have been numerous things..I'm amazed at how huge his/her belly was before and how normal it looks now. I truly wasn't thinking it was water quality since you seem to know how to care for aquatics (or learn very fast), food may have been a factor...especially if it was still digesting the fish that was missing...if indeed it did eat it. Go for the live food, frozen food found in petstore coolers (usually hidden), or the try the tubiflex worms. All good and can always vary back and forth..just don't buy large amounts in case they don't like what their served. Lol!
    Looking at the new pict I'm thinking it was a case of bloat, but man that was dangerously ballooned imo.

Regardless, soo happy to hear and see your froggy is doing better. Load off my mind and I'm sure off yours. You think because their aquatics there's less to worry about...YEAH RiGhT!

10. California Cowgirl

haha thanks, and i'm glad that it's doing better. Oh and another one of my tetra's have dissappeard so at least their not going hungry after not being able to eat the flakes or betta pellets from when the fish snatched them up, today after work i'll be getting a handfull of crickets, about how many crickets should i buy to last 2 frogs for a week

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

not sure, never used them? I wouldn't get a bunch in case they wont eat them! I don't like crickets..i have issues with them...when i had a firebelly toad the lid got knocked off their cricket tank and I awoke to them everywhere and freaked me out since I was lets say scared of them in the 1st place to the point I made my husband feed them ..Lol!

12. California Cowgirl

haha maybe i'll get 14, 1 cricket per frog a day

13. California Cowgirl

ok, so i just got back from the petstor, and i got some nutridiet mealworms and nutridiet fly larvae, plus 18 live crickets, and i put a few mealworms and larvae in the tank just now, hopefully they'll eat it

14. California Cowgirl

so i got tired of not being able to see my frogs, so i took the tree out, and the following is of what the tank looks like now, and i was finally able to get a pic of both frogs
    002.JPG 004.JPG 010.JPG

15. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Member

Did you check your tank to see if maybe your frog was preggo and has maybe laid eggs somewhere?

Also If your planning to keep a 2 week supply of crickets you'll have to feed them or at least give them water. I would suggest putting them in some kind of container with a lid and putting a few pieces of egg carton. you can either feed the crickets wet food or dry, but if you feed them dry food they will need water. The easiest thing to do is just put an orange slice in the container and then replace it when it get dry. You can also give them virtually any dry food (cereal, crackers, cat food etc.) and then put a sponge in a small container with some water in it. They have to be able to get the water through the sponge.

Keeping crickets in this manner is a good thing because pet stores often do not feed there crickets much and so the crickets will lack nutrients when you feed them to your frogs. Also there is a chance they will breed in the container and you will have free crickets. You will need to clean out the container occasionally.

16. California Cowgirl

thanks for the cricket adivce, i just looked at them, and all but 3 were dead in a matter of about 3 hours owning them. 2 drowned in the teeny tiny water dish, and the rest were on their backs, i didn't even dare try to feed them the last 3 just incase the crickets were sick

17. California Cowgirl

and as far as possible laying eggs, i have no idea what to look for

18. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Member

When mine laid eggs it just looked like little dark eggs stuck to rocks, decorations, and glass

19. California Cowgirl

kk i'll look around the tank

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

That's a nice looking lil setup you got going on there for them, looks like their loving the pots already!