1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

"Fuzz" on wild caught crayfish

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by MasterBlue, Mar 13, 2010.

1. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

I recently decided to try to add some wild crayfish to my tanks. Currently I have about 30 in a 10 gallon tank I use to breed my Triops in (who are near there age and It wouldn't hurt too much since the Triops are actually big enough to eat half the crayfish.).

Under a closer inspection most of them have a few clear fuzz on random splotches of there bodies. I dipped them into a methylene blue bath, which dyed them a dark blue. I assume this will kill what ever is on them, but I just wanted to ask more experienced persons there opinion.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well, when you say "fuzz" two things come to mind. One being fungus and another being algae. You said it was clear so I'd have to lean toward the fungus side. You should always quarantine everything before adding them to your main tank, or at least observe them very well to check for signs of illness.

3. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

My Triops tank is currently my Quarantine tank =/
    I'm expecting fungus as well. Many of them have molted and the fuzz went with the old shells. I'll keep a watch and see how well they keep clean. If they stay clear of anything I'm going to pick the best of the litter and drop them into the 40 gallon tank for extra clean gravel =P

Reminds me.... I gotta work on fishing out the old rocks and getting more shell into the tank...