1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

General questions about Oscars.

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by nossie, Nov 14, 2010.

1. nossie

nossie Thread Starter Member

I have a few questions about keeping Oscars, since I would love to have a nice setup with that species :) (Some day, to be honest, I'm just asking out of curiousity)

How much water does each fish need? Is it calculated like usual with inches/gallons or..?
    How big is the smallest tank to use for these fish? (I know they easily grow to be 13-14 inches big)
    Suitable tank mates? Can Oscars be kept in a pair or along with Pearl cichlids for instance?
    How about plecos/other catfish?
    What kind of setup do they thrive in? Which kinds of plants, substrate, rocks...?

Other than that, I know about their basic water quality requirements and dietary needs :) But please tell me as much as you can! :D

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The inch per gallon rule is really outdated and shouldn't be used IMO, except maybe for fish under 2".

I believe the general rule is about 55 gallons for the first fish.

Pearl cichlids may be okay since they grow to a good size themselves. A nice big pleco shouldn't have any problems either. Anyone I've ever heard of putting plant in with Oscars has done nothing but complain that they dig them up, so I would just do a pebble like substrate with some rock decorations.

3. nossie

Thanks for the info :)
    So the minimum size of a tank to keep two oscars and maybe 2-3 plecos would be about 100+ gallons?
    There happens to be a tank about that size I've been gazing at online that used to house Malawi cichlids :) It contains filtration and all kinds of things. Would it be big enough? I don't know if I'll buy it anytime soon though, so that one might just go, but if it'll be suitable, I'll definitely keep it in mind.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I think if you just do two Oscars you can get by with a 75 gallon, so I've heard.

5. nossie

That made things a whole lot easier all of a sudden! :D Nice, nice!
    So one day I could just order another 83 gallon then :) I'm afraid it might be hard getting anything bigger around here since that was the biggest tank available to order from the shop!

6. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

here's a link to my 125g set up that i have 3 oscars, 1 jack dempsey, 2 pleco...imho i wouldn't do a 55g for an oscar (or any fish that gets 12+ in) because the tank is about 12in deep (front to back) and when the fish gets to that length it's kind of hard for them to turn around. a tank that's atleast 18 in deep would be better.
    Oscars and Jack Dempsey Tank

7. nossie

Aha, I wouldn't get anything smaller than 80 gallons for the Oscars either way, my current tank is about 17 inches deep, and since I'd really want more than one Oscar, I think a 55 gallon is out of question :)

I just saw your fish and they're gorgeous! Oh my, their colors are wonderful! :D
    I'm more inspired than ever to try and get a few cichlids now :)

8. buzz4520

thank you !

9. logan mackrell

logan mackrell Member

you could probly get by with one oscar in a 55, 1 with a good sized pleco in a 75. thats what i found with my research

10. buzz4520

imho...the smallest tank for an oscar is a 75g. i couldn't imagine any of my oscars (which are about 13-14 inch) being in a 55g and try to turn around.

11. logan mackrell

logan mackrell Member

yeah, that ould be brutal