1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

going biotope

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by dig317537, Feb 28, 2009.

1. dig317537

dig317537 Thread Starter New Member

going biotope

well i am about to move and so that means i will have to break down the tank. it got me thinking why don't i slowly redesign everything and go biotope. the question is whether to do south american, asia, or north american (i thought this would be a fun challenge since there isn't much info on this) any suggestions?

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

No suggestions...but would love to see photos of it once you've decided!

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

South American would give you more options I think.

4. dig317537

if i go south american i will probally do small tetras, for asia small rasoboras, or north american least killifish and then add plants and other fish accordingly. one problem is finding an algae and snail eater that is small in each biotope, that and carpeting foreground plants, its still up in the air as to where i am going to go.

5. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Biotopes are HARD!!! My 125 was started to be a Rio-Negro biotope... BUT between my selection of fish, water paramets and everything, doing this left me like 4 plants to use in my tank :confused:

Biotope tanks are fun, and I still kind of treat mine like one, A LOT of reading is required to understand the natural environment that you are recreating. That is the fun part!

I agree with Anthony that SA would be your easiest to work with though (remember though, no Asian plants.... that is where I broke down and said whatever I want plants!) :)

6. James0816

James0816 New Member

How big a tank?

large - south american
    medium - asian
    small - north american

7. dig317537

20 gal but in all cases i am going to use the tiniest fish possible ie galaxy danios, pencilfish, glolight tetras(they might be too big), and thinking i will stick with one species in the tank and some other animal that can control algae

8. James0816

James0816 New Member

If you do just one species, cardinals in a heavily planted tank with a couple nice pieces of maylasian driftwood would be good.

9. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Tetras look great in a planted tank :)

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

harlequins are nice in groups also!