1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Going out of town, ideas for fry?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Anonymous, Jul 13, 2009.

1. James0816

James0816 New Member

Re: Questions Directly Related To Breeding (Advice Needed)

Scrape the off with a razor blade using a gentle "slicing" motion. They will come off rather easily.

2. damnsneakyasian

damnsneakyasian New Member

Well im still pretty new breeding so any input/opinion from everyone is welcomed!

What do you guys do with your frys? strip em, sell em, or let nature take its course?

Is it a accepted practice to allow fish from the same batch breed with each other? Im still new but if i had the chance i would diversify the gene pool. I know that tank bred fish are limited (genetically and avalability) but thats what i would do.

** right now i have 2 or 3 female red zebras holding! crossing fingers because im going to let nature take its course!

3. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 New Member

i got my cpds to spawn for this morning and looks like i would of had quite a few eggs... if it hadnt been for fungus :( this is my first attempt at breeding egg layers and i dont really know what to do about fungus on the eggs. any tips or methods to stop the fungus would be appreciated. i spawned them in a 10 gallon full of java moss and some malaysian driftwood over gravel trays.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

what are cpds (copepods?)

5. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 New Member

celestial pearl danios :)

6. James0816

James0816 New Member

What's your water circulation like? You need to keep steady current flow over the site. You can do this one of two ways: Move the moss bed closer to the HOB output (not directly under it) OR get a small power head and adjust the flow accordingly. Again, not directly on the bed but in the area so as to create movement.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:38 pm
    ok i've got 4 corys, 3 [3ofus] neon tetras (funny story i got 3 in the beginning, one disappeared, one died, i went to the petstore to get 4 they only had 2...) and one male HM betta [bfish] :D
    and for all you people who think tetras pick on bettas yeah right- my betas been with tetras they didn't bother him, now we got new guys... so thye might
    ok anyway back to the corys.
    4 corys. 3 are albino [3ofus] , 1 is emerald. my betta doesn't like the emerald. he treats it like another betta. and i got 1 female albino cory and the rest of the albinos are guys, my female is getting bump on her tummy, its been getting bigger, what should i do?? i want to keep the eggs but i don't have room for the fry. im trying to get a 30 gal tank but im only13 (almost 14) and i have to wait til fall to earn money. i collect corn cobs for someone who pays 5 bucks per each corn cob.
    so what should i do?? :confused:

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

if you want to keep the fry get a 10g or a small rubbermaid container (or equivalent) and toss a heater in there.

Grab a cheap sponge filter and aerator IF you don't have a spare filter that you can toss a sponge over cuz they will be amazingly tiny!

You don't need all the extras such as substrate/light/canopy (although I would try to place it near a light source if I were you).

I've also had corys that have spawned..can see them here and read about them if you wish-->

10 Gallon Fry Tank for Baby Fish

9. DanBruv

DanBruv New Member

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:03 pm
    Breeding log
    I'm going to be getting some bristlenose plecos and i was wondering if you guys could help me find something suitable on a UK site i want it too look somewhat realistic not metal or unatractive. Thanks :D

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

$5.95 PLECO BREEDING LOGS:

These spawning logs are 9 inches long with a 2 inch opening on one end that tapers to 1 inch on the closed end. Excellent design to spawn Plecos and best of all it looks real!
    pleco_breeding_log.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014
  11. DanBruv

DanBruv New Member

i said UK site make sure you read it properly in future :)

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

i showed you one you can look for in the UK...make sure you use the search engine in the future and please quit pm'ing things that can be asked on the forum [sarcasm]

And on a sidenote, if you want to be sarcastic you can always use some common sense and use a search engine such as google shopping :cool:

13. aznfire888

aznfire888 New Member

I have a empty 20g sitting around and i'm thinking about using it for trying to breed tetras...i've read some articles on breeding neons...wondering if anyone has done it? or serpaes

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member