1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Golden Wonder Killie Has white coming off??

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by California Cowgirl, Feb 15, 2009.

1. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

So this reminds me of a shedding, but i know fish don't shed. It seems to be affecting his swimming, and it's on his bottom side and tail. I had just fed him an hour ago and he was fine. then i noticed him at the bottom of the tank, which he is always at the top. I've got him quarintined in a little tiny fish tank carrier. I'm thinking about pulling my 5 gal out tomorrow to move him in temporarley. Part of it is starting to come off, i would take a pic but i lost my memory card.

So what should i do?

2. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

anything chANGED?

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Please be sure to include all of the following.

pH
    Ammonia Level
    Nitrite Level
    Nitrate Level
    Water Temperature
    Tank Size
    How Often You Do Water Changes And What Percent You Change

4. California Cowgirl

nope, nothing's changed, i don't have a freshwater test kit so i don't know, tank size is 10 gal with 2 fish and 6 frogs, temp about 75, and for the parmeters would my marine test kit work for fres? and i do a 10% water change once a week, and i'll be doing a 50% change right now, i've moved him into my 5 gall for now, i've noticed he's got it all over, and on his head it's inching closer to his eyes

5. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

got what all oveR?

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Moving him to an uncycled tank will cause more harm than good. I have a feeling your tank is going through a cycle since you recently added all those frogs.

Do you treat your water before putting it in the tank ?

7. California Cowgirl

yea, i did, and the current 5 gal was used a few weeks ago for my betta and guppy before they jumped out and died, and i think i've had my 10 gall running for about 4 months now

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If the tank has been fishless for weeks, it's uncycled.

9. California Cowgirl

kk, is this at least safer for my other fish and frogs? i don't want it to spread, and it looks like it's spreading on him, it's now on his back, and all petstores are closed, is there anything that i can buy tomorrow after work to help him at least hopefully have a chance to survive it, it's really weighing him down

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Without knowing the water parameters it's very hard to tell what's going on with the water.

"White stuff" could be fungus.

11. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

yea or "white spots" could be ick is this white stuff fuzzy might be fungus or a infection

12. California Cowgirl

that's what i'm thinking it is also, and especially with how fast it's spreading, i honestly don't think he'll make it though the night, i'll really be surprised if he's alive tommorw and if so in what condition

13. California Cowgirl

yea it's white and fuzzy and speading very quickly and bunching up in areas, very similar to that of a reptile shedding it's skin

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If it's fungus you can use PimaFix for it.

15. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

yea use it asap its like slowly eating away the fish

16. California Cowgirl

yea, he'll have to wait until tomorrow unfortunantley, and this sucks, i may loose 2 fish within 2 weeks, and since it is slowly eating away him, and since i cant get the meds until tommorrow evening would it be easier on the fish if i put him to sleep? i just want to do what's best for him, especially since he was my favorite fish

17. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

dont do it

18. California Cowgirl

kk, oh and now i can see like a pink/light red coloring inside of him, on the lower half behind his mouth, and parts of his tail is also turning red

19. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

just wait i have had a flowerhorn that was attacked and i didnt know and it had fungus i acctually had some stuff that burned off the fungus so it was this huge open wond and i couldnt stand the sight of looking at him like that it was heart breaking and caouldnt imagine the pain so i put him to sleep but you can wait since i dont think its to bad since you barely noticed it just keep water clean and it will heal its ot untreatable mines was just to sad expecially since its you favorite never put dont a fish until the end unless its hella bad

20. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

do you have pics that would be very helpful