1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

good & bad aquarium or fish related experiences

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by eeyipes, Jul 24, 2008.

1. js1218

js1218 New Member

Re: Mad

had a freind put one a desk . he called said his was not level. when i get there
    it was on it way to the floor.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

wow, way to make me worry...

3. SyncereOne

SyncereOne New Member

What type of stand is it? A metal stand or a 2x4 stand? If it is 2x4's, pull out the old electric sander....1-2 mils isn't alot....

4. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

stupid stupid stupid thing I did....

stupid stupid stupid thing I did....
    Well, today when I bought more live rock for my saltwater tank, I also bought a couple of celestial pearl danios and put them in my community tank (at least I thought it was community...). I finally found some and was excited. I then had to go out. When I got back and checked on them, both of them had been killed and were slowly being eaten by my paradise and pearl gouramis..... I was so mad at myself. I ended up going out and getting a small tank setup just to keep a few of them with a couple of smaller cory cats.

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: stupid stupid stupid thing I did....

What size were the gouramis' ?

6. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

they are both somewhere between 3-4 inches

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Wow! I have them in my community tank (platinums and a blue one) and their about that size and haven't had issues with my danios, thanks for the warning...i'll have to monitor them a bit closer now after reading that.

8. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

The only thing I can think of that caused the issue was the fact that celestials are on the small side, and the pearl gourami seems to be quite territorial. When I put the ram in there, the pearl gourami chased him around for about a day but never got a hold of him, and he was a bit bigger. I completely forgot that he was that territorial when I put the danios in.

9. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

You just sit and cringe when you see your fish eating such pretty and expensive food! If you read the dumbest things post I added to, I did almost the same thing with the baby angelfish. I ended up feeding them to my Discus!

10. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

yea, an expensive ($14 for the both of them), beautiful, rare in the hobby, food....blah...that's why I got a new setup for them. I'm going to buy a couple more, and because I wana make sure they still have them when I get them, I'm also going to get one of those fry nets, put them in there temporarily in my large tank, then once this new tank is set/cycled, I'm going to put them in there. My girlfriend wants to put a couple of small cory cats in the new setup as well, so we'll either do some pandas, or some dwarf corys.

11. Ms. Wright

Ms. Wright Member

Ouch. Celestial pearls are just snack-size for gouramis. And they're such a good excuse to set up a heavily planted 10g anyway. ;) I found mine at a PVAS auction and paid about $4.00 each. Got a dozen and put them in with some Boraras Briggitae and some tiny juvie ancistrus. No agression; I just wish they'd breed. Seems like some folks have been successful at it; check Aquabid and you might do a bit better on prices.
    That's such a bummer, I'm sorry.

12. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

yea. I went and got two more today along with a cory sterbai (absolutely beautiful fish...I will post a pic of him when i get the chance). I have the danios in a breeder net right now temporarily until the new 10 gallon kit i picked up is ready for them. I hate the lights on it though....incandescent bulbs...blah next week I'm getting a new hood for it.

13. Ms. Wright

Ms. Wright Member

Glad you found more; they're really nice fishes. Heads up; they seem to be really shy. Not just in my tank, but in all the online research I've done; even with a lot of plants, they kind of lurk. No problems at mealtimes, though :D

14. Leslie

Leslie New Member

Im proud of myself!

Im proud of myself!
    This id the first time i have keep fish alive for longer than a month. i am proud of myself. Ive had them for a good while trying to figre out how long. but yeah for me! :D

15. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Re: Im proud of myself!

Congrats! Having fish live over a month is always a good thing :)

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Lol! Congrats, I'm sure the fish is doing his lil' happy dance too.

17. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well that's always good. Do you think what you've learned here had anything to do with that ? :D

18. Leslie

Leslie New Member

I've had tghem for 6 months and a few days!! i am very proud of myself cause i cant remeber to do stuff. they still seem happy?

19. Leslie

Leslie New Member

actully joining this site helped me do a better job really. i didnt and still dont know everything and everyone here is wonderful and always helpful. so it really did help me. ;)

20. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

hehe thanks :) :) :) :)