1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Great news

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by Anonymous, Feb 24, 2009.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

You'll have a tank overflowing with them in no time! Yea, when mated the females are chubbier appearing in the mid section (that's when you can see the gravid spot best-black spots being eyes/fry). I have to tell you, as with most fish the parents will eat the fry unless they are quickly seperated from them. Guppies do better with severeal SMALL feedings a day. I try to feed my community tank 3 times a day with assorted foods for variety.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

that why I want to get live food, mainly for the fry. it some times hard to feed them three times a day while having school to, I'm trying to feed them at lest twice.

but with the live food my fry can pig out almost all day.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Not necessarily (it can get in the filter via intake if it's not covered with a pre-filter)...try using an automatic feeder?
    Or feeding them when you get up and just before bed.

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I was thinking of doing a fry tanks that has a sponge filter.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

if it's a fry tank, that would be the only way I would go. (sponge filter)
    Just remem. if your going with live don't over do it...they can only consume soo much..you don't want water quality issues from overfeeding (even if its live).

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I know.

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Okay, just making reference for others who read this that may not.