1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Green Spot Algae & High Nitrate Reading in Planted tank

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by MOD_Dawn, Mar 6, 2009.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

Re: Green Spot Algae & High Nitrate Reading

Thanks for the additional info.
    I was always told (including in test kit) that phosphates should be 0 at all times.
    Reason I was asking for more information. I'm sure you know how difficult it can be with the plants and deciding what to add and what not to (I feel like a freakin chemist!) Lol!

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I have also read that Phosphates are bad. Well not bad, but they are a Macronutrient I believe and that Algae can out compete the higher level plants when Phosphates are present.

I used to use PH 6.5 that contained Phosphates and quit using it because of algae blooms that I could not control. After switching to peat I have not had quite the same algae blooms. (I used to get a WHOLE lot of blue/green algae... now its beard algae I have been fighting)

3. James0816

James0816 New Member

Re: What's New in Your Tank Today?

Np at all. Phophate is one of the key nutrients that plants need in order to thrive and survive (I love rhyming...maybe should be a rapper....NOT ;) ). This is something that I have learned pretty quickly when I made the swap over to dry ferts. Sure they can grow without it but will not be as healthy. As you know healthy plants are what helps out compete algae for nutrients. When the plants aren't provided the proper nurishment they need, they get weak. This enables the algae to come in the front door and say "honey....I'm home!".

We don't like uninvited guests in our tanks. So our goal is to provide an environment where we promote plant growth not algae growth. The key to algae control is balance. Finding the right balance between lighting (type of light and photo periods) and nutrients (which includes carbon and phosphates). Photo periods of 10-12 hrs/day, ferts such as Macros, Iron, Phosphates and Carbon. Let's not forget the water changes. These are equally important. They help prevent the build up of excess nutrients in the water (I.e. Nitrates and Phosphates).

The only algae I battle currently <knocks on simulated wood> are the dreaded diatoms and the occassional green spot. When I let my phosphate level slip, that is when I notice the little spots. I do have to be more diligent myself on the phosphate testing. I think I finally hit the right balance for the dosing. No reoccurances of it for a few weeks now.

I haven't figured out the secret to success on diatoms. Everyone says they are common with new tanks and eventually go away. I agree with the first part but the second part....nope. I have a tank that has been well established for over a year and just can't seem to kick them yet. Good thing they are easy to take care of though. Just clean em up during the maintenance.

Hope this helps.

:cool:

4. James0816

James0816 New Member

Dawn.....I posted in the "What's New...." thread. It seems that these two threads are linked together for the moment. ;o)

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Lets try to keep everything here from now on. :D

6. James0816

James0816 New Member

definately....Anthony...can you move that post into here?

7. LemonDiscus

I agree.... I have a question for James too about the Phosphates that are in that thread...

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Everything's been merged. :D

9. LemonDiscus

James... your thoughts on this... this is what I read?

10. James0816

James0816 New Member

Have never heard of algae outcompeting at higher levels. The only way I know that it would be possible (thought process here) is if your plants are not consuming the nutrients fast enough. So if there are excess in the water column, then yes the algae could take hold. This comes back into the play of balance. Unless you are way overdosing Phosphates, the plants will do their part. Some people keep the levels higher than 2 when using the EI dosing scheme and higher light plants. If you keep it in in the ballpark of 2, you should be ok.

As for the PH 6.5, I'm not familiar with the chems....can't comment on this one unfortunately. I steer clear of any additives. ;o)

11. LemonDiscus

Yeah it is a PH buffer that contains phosphates and states "Do not use in planted aquariums" I always thought it had something to do with the phosphates in it.

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I think the key is keeping the right amount of phosphates in the water. Too much and you have algae problems, not enough and you have other problems ?

13. LemonDiscus

Yeah and I am thinking that the buffer I had overdid the phosphates...

14. James0816

James0816 New Member

yep....just remember....balance grasshoppa!

15. MOD_Dawn

Great info.

Now my dosing will include Seachem Flourishâ„¢ Phosphorus, Flourish, Flourish Excel, and the occasional Flourish Iron.

<--feels like a mad chemist adding a dash of this and a touch of that & testing for this and a bit of that. Lol!

16. James0816

James0816 New Member

Ya know...I felt the same way when I switched to dry ferts. You get to measure out precise amounts, mix, then measure out precise amounts and dose. [glasses]

Now to steer you away from them expensive Flourish items and go dry. Save you a ton-o-money! :cool:

17. MOD_Dawn

Yea, I'd defin. like that James.
    Got any recommendations that would be easy dosages without all the mixing needs and guesswork?

18. James0816

James0816 New Member

Let me check w/ Anthony to see if a site is acceptable....stand by. If not, I will PM ya.

19. MOD_Dawn

Roger dodger...assuming standby.
    most sites are acceptable IF they are not linked to a forum.

20. James0816

James0816 New Member

Just making sure (had my hand slapped once before ;) )

Here's where I order my ferts from: http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com

I am mainly using the PMDD pre-mix and Mono Potassium Phosphate. Having great success with this.

I am starting on EI dosing and getting individual ingredients. Gives you more control of your dosing and can adjust it one way or another. I'm still in the learning curve on this but so far no imbalance swings on my test tank.

The amounts you get will last a very long time. Mix as you go.