1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Green Spot Algae & High Nitrate Reading in Planted tank

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by MOD_Dawn, Mar 6, 2009.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

Re: Green Spot Algae & High Nitrate Reading

how do you dose with them? (seen this site before and was checking it out).
    Another words how would you calculate.

I know with Seachems they tell you X capfuls to X gallons every X days.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Excel dosing looks like it would have to continue even with dry ferts.

3. MOD_Dawn

I like the idea of not truly guessing and needing to constant test. I'm actually doing quite well with using the cap and going by their recommendations on the back of the liquid bottle (although it defin. can get very expensive fast).

As of today almost all of the p. cabombas are touching the surface of the tank. Since keeping the additives more routine I have noticed Far better coloration in most/if not all of my plants...in addition to accelerated growth on many of them.

Also, The spot algae is not coming back as it was in the past. Where it was (that I couldn't reach)..is pretty much staying at that (not increasing/spreading).

Fish are doing much better at night with placing the airpump on a timer to come on during the "lights out" period only.

All and all I am VERY pleased on the tanks progress.

4. James0816

James0816 New Member

There are labels on the bags to let you how to mix them. The pre-mix has some recommended dosing.

As for EI dosing.....this is where you bring out your inner mad scientist. There are a couple different dosing calculators you can use. So you would figure in your tank size, what indredient you are adding (say Iron) and what dosing level your are trying to achieve. It will give out a recommendation. Then, depending on how your plants are doing, you can adjust for more or less. Same with the appearance of algae like the dreaded green spot. It's a tell-tell sign that your phosphates are low.

Tons of good readings out there. I think I just about read them all. ;o)

5. MOD_Dawn

Thanks for the great advice James!
    A bit leary of mixing (asthma and smells trigger)..so I have to be really really careful on what I use. I think with I'll do seachem once more (order) and then during the summer I'll try the dry ferts since I'll have more time on my hands.