1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Green Spotted Puffer fish

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by stephaniebray, Jul 21, 2009.

1. stephaniebray

stephaniebray Thread Starter New Member

What is the proper diet for these little guys? Mine is about an inch and a half long. He is very healthy looking, but I'm afraid I'm not feeding him the proper nutrients he needs to live a long and healthy life,

He is very picky and won't eat much. He will not eat tropical fish flake food, or and sort of vegetable. I have tried clipping romaine lettuce and zucchini to the side of the glass. The only foods he will eat are frozen and freeze dried blood worms and frozen brine shrimp. I also about once a week throw 2 small snails in there and he eats those too.

Please give me some suggestions. They would be greatly appreciated.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Puffers eat crustaceans in the wild. Foods for smaller puffers are frozen freeze-dried krill or plankton, gut-loaded ghost shrimp, glass worms, crickets, worms and small snails (the size of their eye). Snails are an essential food to a puffer's diet, especially when small.

3. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl New Member

When my puffer was about your size I fed him dried plankton and snails now that he is a bit bigger I feed him frozen bloodworms and crickets for his teeth since I can't supply a source of snails. With a puffer your size I suggest feeding every day. Mine is 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches so I feed him every other day. Mine is also a very picky eater. As a reminder make sure you go through a fresh/brackish/saltwater stage. And they also need a 30 gallon plus tank per puffer