1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Green water problem

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by California Cowgirl, Apr 20, 2009.

1. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

so past couple days i noticed that my puffers tank was green. Today i finally had time to do tank cleanings, i had thought that the green was algae on the glass, but right now while im cleaning it looks like its the water, what should i do or what could be causing the green

2. California Cowgirl

oh and after i took 30% of the water out, i remembered that i needed to test the water, and the NO2 looked closest to 0.1 as it was a very light blue, almost clear in color, NO3 looked like it was about 5.0, for PH i couldnt get an exact reading but it looked like around 7.8, Amonia was about .5, amonia, 0, and for alkalinity i couldnt get a clear reading but it was a blueish, greenish color, so im assuming it was be about normal reading. Oh and temp is about 78

Also this is a brackish water tank, so i'm assuming readings wont be perfect for sw, and the fact of doing a 30% water change before the reading doesnt help, so i'll do another 30% water change, then do another testing

3. California Cowgirl

And i couldnt edit this part: Amonia was about .5, amonia, 0. But the amonia was 0 and not 5

4. California Cowgirl

i also just got a protein skimmer!!!!!!!!!!! its the seaclone instant ocean one meant for 100 gallons :DDDDD

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates should all be basically the same for all types of water. Ammonia - 0 Nitrite - 0 and Nitrates (generally) - 20 or less. Having nitrites and/or ammonia shows there is a problem ie the tank isn't cycled.

The algae might be caused by excess light.

6. California Cowgirl

Ok and I did a 90% water change and the water is crystal clear besides the salt

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Changing that much of the water isn't a good idea. You need to be 100% sure you're matching your salinity levels perfectly when changing the water too.

8. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

yea changing to much water kills the BB if you have the extra money you could it use it on a UV sterilizer. It is probally excess light though.

9. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

I had the same problem recently. I did 2 50% water changes in a week and kept the light in the tank off for 48 hours. Cleared mine right up!