1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Guppies, Guppies, Everywhere!!!

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by Anonymous, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Guppys are breeding machines.. In a few months you wil have even more yohoo!! :)

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I know....LOL!! I have a few PG females ready to burst as it is. I just need to figure out what type of bloom I am having.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I love guppies. I'm planning on getting all males, as I already have a female platy ready to give birth. I have 3 salt and pepper corys, 3 male sunburst platys and a blue female platy in a 38 gallon tank. I was thinking about adding about 10 male guppies. Would that be too many fish? And Kimmie, congrats on the August baby!;)

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

It does not sound like too many fish to me, but we always do a bit of over stock. Thanks on the baby. This one will be my last one. I am all done after this. I would love to see pics of your tank!!

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

my tank hasn't come out the way i wanted. i'm thinking of moving the fish into a 10 gallon this spring and re-doing the 38. hopefully for my birthday in april and mother's day in may i'll get some new fish stuff! lol i just got the 38 for christmas, so i know my husband will be like "ah, don't you have enough already?" i'll get my daughters to buy me stuff. lol i have 4 of them and my last was born in august of '93. is your last one a boy or girl? what part of maine are you in? i got 2 dachshunds from a breeder in Bridgton for my birthday 2 years ago. as a kid i did a lot of camping at moosehead lake. maine is beautiful. back to fish.....i may do the 10 gallon as an all male guppy tank after i redo the 38 cuz i'd like some black skirt and white skirt tetras to school around the bigger tank when it's redone. they'll look cool with the orange platys.

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I have had that happen with a few tanks. I get it done and go "Ugh, not quite it" and then redo it over time. I am sure your girls will help you get more fish stuff. If hubby wants a happy wife (we all know if we are not happy, no one is...LOL!) he will too.

I live in Portland, been here for 30 years now. It is very beautiful here. I find out March 31st boy or girl. We have all boys in this house and hubby is dying for a girl. I am good either way. A girl would be nice to top it all off with, but I love my boys...LOL!! How old are your girls. Our kiddos range from 21 to 9 months (well 14 weeks in the belly is the youngest...LOL!!).

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

my oldest is 23, then we have an 18 yr old, one just turned 17 last weekend and the "baby" will be 16 in august. and we took in our 17 yr old's friend so she doesn't have to go to boston public schools for high school. the last boy baby in my family was my brother in 1962! so i'd love a grandson some day! lol
    when redoing a tank, should i keep the gravel? it's eco-complete mixed with gravel and sand, but i want it seperated next time. eco-complete at the rear of the tank for tall plants, eco-complete and gravel midtank and sand at the front. it's gonna be too hard to seperate the mixed stuff, so i'm hoping to buy new stuff, but money is tight.

8. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Thats going to be one hard time if you'll try to seperate time.. I think buying new is probadly better yeah...

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'd go new, seperating it is going to be a pain in the butt. Why would you want to stagger substrate in that way? Why not just go all eco-complete if your doing planted?

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Put them through a collander. Sit your collander on a bucket and then put small amounts in. The sand will go into the bucket and the gravel will be left in the collander. Cheap, reuses what you have, and separates well.

I am the only girl and child. My dad lost his first wife and son (7 mos old) in a car accident in 1972. I gave him all the boys he missed. Now we would like another girl in the family.

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

i probably should do just eco-complete. i thought the staggered substrates would look cool. i don't know. it's hard to get the vision in my mind into the tank! lol

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Lol, that's when you bust out the printer paper and some colored pencils.
    I did that when it came to planting the tank and deciding where what should go.

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I love the little projects that decorating can be. A staggard substrate would be cool for sure.

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

oh, i had a notebook of sketches before i set up the tank! it was awesome! then i set up the tank and it all went to hell! lol i'll have to break out the pencils again. and proceed SLOWLY when redoing the tank. i want a natural look, but with a little mystery. kind of like a forest underwater where elves and fairys would hang out. crags in the rocks, maybe a cave or 2, some gnarly trees and moss.

15. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I get that way too. I set out with fab idea and then move too fast...LOL!! I will get pics of the guppy tank. It is cute. Actually there are some in the hard brown algae thread.

16. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Yeah I want some sort of caved foresty tank :)

17. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

all kinds of nifty images are floating in my head!! yeah! i'm thinking of doing a photo log of the redo. we're waitung for a couple of snowstorms this weekend so i cleaned up the yard, got some patio chairs out, found a 5 gallon and a 10 gallon in my storage shed!!! so happy! lol i'm gonna sit on the patio with my dogs, watch the snow fall and plan the tanks......i'll get back to you
    thanks for the input. this is a great forum.

18. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Cannot wait to see!!!