1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Guppy Community Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by MasterBlue, Dec 31, 2011.

1. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

To start the new year off right I'm going to temporarally abandon my obsessive fish breeding goals and instead try something new - Enjoying my fish as they are!

So, lets start =3

Size:55? gallon
    Substrate: Pool filter sand
    Filtration: Power head attached to sponge Filters / Clams
    Heater: a 300 watt "OceanAqua 19000" -- Turned off for now/Untested (and untrusted)

Plants:
    Java Moss
    Hornwart
    Anacharis
    Micro Sword
    Baby Tears

Inhabitants:
    Guppy: Grass(1), Blue Delta Pair, Wild(4)
    Endler(Hybrids):Tiger Endlers(4), Black Bar Endlers(1)
    Females:5
    Cory:Bronze(2), Peppered(4)
    Snails:Ram Horn(7ish), Malaysian Trumpet Snails(untold thousands), Unidentified Flat Snail(3)
    Other:Red Cherry Shrimp (15+), Scuds(????), Daphnia(???),Marbled Cray?(I hope none), FW Clams(20)

I have alot of work ahead, new lights, adding eco complete, Ensuring the heater isn't gunna explode. This will be my day-to day journal, and if you have advice I'd like to hear it as I go.

2. MasterBlue

3. MasterBlue

So, what I want to do is get some good substrate. I prefer sand, but I'm also wanting my plants to grow, so I know sand isn't the best for most of them.
    Dawn's said Eco Complete and you all give it shinning reviews, but what size grain is it? I know it's gravel, but I haven't seen is Since my local fish stores stopped selling it. Online pix I've seen make it either look like sand or insanely huge stones.

Also, where is a good place to get it online and use paypal to pay? I'm not sure I trust the ebay listings.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Here's where you can find info about the grain size (mfr. website link to product)--> http://www.caribsea.com/pages/products/ ... aquar.html

and if you click the red "here" you'll be able to find both (hopefully) local dealers in addition to online one's as well.

I know when I purchased mine the cheapest place was petco.com (it was much more expensive in their store) using a coupon code and my bigcrumbs clickthrough. I think they accepted paypal as a payment too.

~Good Luck, looking good so far :)

5. MasterBlue

Thanx Dawn =D
    I'll take pictures Once I add the new stuff.

6. MasterBlue

I've ordered the new eco-complete and some more Java Moss, I hope to get a better light arrangement soon.
    I'm thinking of making my own flake food, better nutrition and what have you, but that's another project for another financial time.

7. MasterBlue

Waiting on the Eco Complete. I hate waiting.... lol

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Lol, if you ordered from petco they usually don't take long to get it to you.
    If memory serves the last order I made (substrate) from them took 3 business days...but then again as with everything it all depends on where you live and if you ordered on a business day.

9. MasterBlue

Since I did a huge amount of shopping on ebay I got a huge ebay bucks certificate. So, I'm doing more (free) shopping X3
    Getting some plant weights, and some more plants.

10. MasterBlue

I got in some breeder nets =D They fit perfect in the corner of my tank, I'll use them later on, but for now one of them is being used to keep some of my Cherry Shrimp. Why? Simply because XD

11. MasterBlue

About how deep should I put the EcoComplete when I get it? o.o; I'm guessing 2-3 inches?

12. MasterBlue

GUESS WHO GOT HIS ECOCOMPLETE!? MEEEEE!!!!
    Before images:
    ai251.photobucket.com_albums_gg300_blueboy171_101_1093.jpg
    ai251.photobucket.com_albums_gg300_blueboy171_101_1094.jpg
    ai251.photobucket.com_albums_gg300_blueboy171_101_1096.jpg
    ai251.photobucket.com_albums_gg300_blueboy171_101_1097.jpg
    ai251.photobucket.com_albums_gg300_blueboy171_101_1098.jpg

13. MasterBlue

I'm 100% sure I put too much Eco XD I'll have to remove some when I get off work tonight, but once I'm done, things will be great =D

14. MasterBlue

15. MasterBlue

Cory don't seem as bothered as I expected, lol.
    I'll leave the depth the way it is for now, if I get any trouble I'll pull some out later on, use it in another tank.

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Did you mix the sand with the eco-complete? I did that once and it drove me nuts to look at..haha!

DEPTH:
    Your right on the money with about 3" of eco...with that rootbeer bottle it looks like you may have 5"?
    The only thing you'll have to make sure is that you stir the substrate when siphoning to prevent dead pockets.

CHERRY SHRIMP:
    Oh, and I have to warn ya about cherry shrimp in breeder nets..they WILL climb out because I tried that when I got my order in for the 20gL and the tank wasn't quite ready (plant/substrate wise) so just speaking from personal experience.

BREEDER NET FYI:
    And most importantly don't forget when doing partials with breeder nets to put what's in the nets in a cup or something while partialing so you don't pull all their water from them. Again, personal experience...but you live and you learn :)

SIDENOTE:
    make sure you have a trustworthy heater or TWO on the tank that appears to be sitting directly in front of your airconditioner. Probably not a issue now that it's not running (but still may be if it's not sealed or plastic covered on the back to keep the cold wintery air out), but will be when you run it and it blows directly on the glass of the tank which will QUICKLY drop the temperature of the tank causing temp instability which can lead to death, illness, and water issues.

PS. How's the clams doing for you? I throught of adding them before but wasn't sure if they'd do well and I was supposed to be sent some mts that I paid for but never ended up receiving them for the 90g.

17. MasterBlue

Do you want some? o.o; I hate mine, I toss out a few hundred every few months...
    I'll measure the depth later, see what I end up having.
    The ac is actually on XD but it blows away from the tank. The heater I have in there is a pretty good one, just in case (and that I don't have heat in my room, so a heater durring the winter it a must)

I like the peppery look personally. Or, I did when I had my 3 gallon. We shall see ;D I still have a full bag of Eco

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

hey, when you get overfilled with them just hit me up and I'll gladly pay you for them if its not a inconven. for ya.
    I used to get them at the lfs around here but now they don't get them or snails for that matter?

I had paid for some quite a while back but never got them so I just gave up and try to siphon the sand really well and apologize weekly to the lone clown loach for not having yummy snails for him (he was supposed to be sold off with the rest that time, must musta had one heck of a hiding place because I didn't even find him until at least 1week plus later...and he's a ugly one ...color is NOT bright like typical clown loaches and is majoritly black barred if that makes sense).

I'm still up in the air on what I'm doing,
    I'm seriously considering giving up on fish keeping due to health issues, I thought I could handle it but it's just getting to be too much for me. I love looking at my fish as they are "relaxing", but the upkeep/cost/and maintenance is definately more than I can handle lately and I couldn't justify paying/finding someone for that matter to come in and take care of my tanks as well as I do.

Hopefully things will straighten out soon or better WORKING meds will become available ....but if not I won't allow the tanks to suffer on my account.

19. MasterBlue

Aw =( I hope you don't leave! Who will answer my questions if you leave? lol

With the eco in there, It's not gunna be as easy to sift the sand to get them out like I used to. But, if I cut the air off, they run for the surface, so I think If i need to catch them that how I'd do it.

20. MasterBlue

Got in some of my "xmas moss" that I ordered. Looks like just plain old moss from the back yard. Of well, lets see what happens!