1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Guppy Community Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by MasterBlue, Dec 31, 2011.

1. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

Love natural looking sands and gravels. Now the clams, are they more for just having something interesting in the tank or do they actually somewhat help with filtration?

2. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

3 clams in a 10 gallon tank of green water over a week turned the water clear ;3
    There was no other filter in the tank, and only a light and airstone.

But, those were larger clams than these. I like keeping them for a natural filtration, and for looks, they are really neat.

3. MasterBlue

after tying the moss to stuff
    ai251.photobucket.com_albums_gg300_blueboy171_101_1105.jpg
    ai251.photobucket.com_albums_gg300_blueboy171_101_1107.jpg

4. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

Huh....I've never tried clams in a tank before.... Sounds interesting lol

Now is that moss similar to java moss?

5. MasterBlue

Supposed to be, it was thicker and felt softer.

so far so good.

6. MasterBlue

So, you know how some people, no mater how hard they try, things still go to hell?
    Well thats me.

My step dad sprayed my aquarium bucket with weed killer. This tank is now a nasty brown color, took 3 hours to go from clear to milk to brown....

As close as I can figure, anyway. Its the only thing I can imagine doing this to my tank. My snails are heading to the surface and the shrimp have died. Survivors were moved to other tanks, but I'm not sure if I want to continue. Seems every time I try to make things better, it all goes crazy and everything dies....

7. MasterBlue

Doing a few partials, since the first one only made the tank go from brown to cloudy....

Side notice, my snail population is running for the surface, as is all my other critters. This suggests an oxygen problem. Maybe the poison triggered an aggressive bacterial bloom or has causes a chemical reaction that removed all the oxygen from the tank?

8. MasterBlue

Water changes have been promising. I'm on my 4th now, and the water has finally started to clear up.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Man that bites, sorry to hear of the issues you're encountering.

I hate to say it, but it sounds like you may need to clean your substrate (not sure if you can bake it to sterilize it or not, I'm sure someone else will chime in with possible recommendations)...and possibly sterilize the tank (meaning empty it all out..bleach>dechlorinate>rinse>airdry)...in addition to the filters or anything else that was attached/in the tank.

*Fingers crossed that water changes in themselves will do the trick*

10. MasterBlue

Water is still kinnda hazy, but the fish seem to be acting normal. Cory Spawned.
    Snails aren't at the surface any more, so I'll assume the water quality is at least acceptable. Plants haven't wilted any. Might add a shrimp of two and see. I suspect the hazy is more of a cycle that a problem. Seems to have cleared some through the day.

If things are well, I'm going to go buy a loach to eat my snails. I'm absolutly sick of seeing them. I'll buy him, let him eat my snails (since the shrimp are not in the tank any longer), then once he's big and fat, donate him either to a teacher of back to the local pet store.

Wanna sell me yours Dawn? lol

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

haha, if you were close enough I'd just let you have the ugly bugger.

12. MasterBlue

lol, yea. The guy at the fish store tried to sell me assassin snails. While, I do like them I'd rather not have another population of snails of of my control. One loach would be easier to find than a growing number of assassin's... I remember how his started, a customer ordered one. The company sent 5, we sold 2. He now has a tank full and can't sell them. I'm square man, thanks tho.

13. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

That's what happens with assassins :) You made a wise decision there although I do not think it wise to add stock to take care of a maintenance issue. Snails only start populating in huge numbers when there is enough food to support that population. Try cutting WAY back on your feedings and manually removing the snails, I am willing to bet you will see a decrease.

14. MasterBlue

Thats the thing -.-; They're eating my drift wood.

With the Guppies and shrimp out of the tank, I've only fed the Cory these last few days, and All I've fed them is blood worms (still spawning, so I wanna keep there strength and vigor up). I removed close to 100 snails when the water got poisoned, then again at least 50 yesterday when I pulled out the smaller drift wood. The larger one can't be removed unless I dissemble the tank wire/tubeing so I'm not gunna touch it right now. Don't have the time as it stands.

15. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Never heard of them eating wood.

16. MasterBlue

Well they are o.o; Its weird. I think it may have something to do with my water chemistry, the wood sorta softens on the surface, I could carve into it if I had the mind to.

17. MasterBlue

Odd note- Cory are STILL spawning. The Peppered Cory that is, the Bronze are just eating the eggs =/
    I collected 10 or so eggs, more if I find them tomorrow morning. Got the collected eggs in a jar, starting to see movement in them =D I'll have la baby Cory <3

18. MasterBlue

Cory haven't spawned today, and the behavior is gone. So I guess thats it for now. Sure was the longest spawn I've ever seen =/ And I only was able to collect such a small percentage. Make me sad on in inside =( Of well =3 Cory babies <3
    The eggs are about ready to hatch. I'm super excited <3 <3<3<3

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

when I kept mine in the 10g to hatch them out they were soo itty bitty...make sure you have a sponge filter or prefilter sponge so they can't slip through any intakes. Also, they took a LONG time to get to a nice enough size to keep them with anything else (fed them blanched cucumbers and hikari algae wafers).

20. MasterBlue

Came home from work to find the jar they were in fell over ... My Triops had a good snack I guess Y.Y