1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Guppy question

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by Anonymous, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Guppy question

Today is tank maintanance day and I was just cleaning Brendan's guppy tank and he has at least 20 new ones in there (under 2 days old) along with about 15-20 adults. Megan's tank has about 15 adults and I saw a couple new ones in the bottom, but didn't see that many. I also have about 10 adults in my 3rd guppy tank no sign of little ones there yet, thank goodness. My question is this... do you think the angels or tetras would bother the guppies if I was to put some of the larger adults in my 55 gallon? I have 4 black neons in there that stay in a school and I haven't seen anyone bothering them. I have another 5 gallon tank that is cracked and I just finished sealing it, but it will be a couple of days before I can test it to see if it is sealed and can make a new baby tank. I just know that the already over crowded tanks are now worse and I don't want to loose a bunch of them just because the tank is too full. I checked the amonia and nitrates in all 3 guppy tanks and they were all at 0 so right now it isn't a water quality issue.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Adult guppies should be fine in a tank with Angel's and Tetra's.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thank you.. now one more question. Should I put males and females in there or just one or the other? I know that if I put both in there that they will breed and the other fish will eat them. What would you do if it was your tank?

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If it were me, I would put the males in with the Angel's and Tetra's. The females will be pregnant for about 3 more months after you remove the males.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

ok, thanks! They will also add a little more color to the big tank.

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

ok, thanks! They will also add a little more color to the big tank.

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yep they sure will.

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

if you do let them breed in there it would help control the number of guppy babies you have.

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah, where guppies are concerned I have become a member of the survival of the fittest community already. I put in all but one male per tank and several of the large females tonight. I did notice my tetras going after a few of the small males before I turned the light outs, I am a bit concerned, but wonder if I put the tetras in "time out" tomorrow if it would help? The room is completely dark now so they should be good for the night, I am going to get up early and see how tomorrow procedes

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If they continue to harass the guppies remove them for a bit and try to rearrange the tank a bit. They should be fine after that.

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

The problem is I don't have a lot to rearrange. I just took everything out and replaced with a few live plants to see how they would do. I get up before the sun comes up to get the kids on the bus so I am going to watch them early and if they are being butts then I am going to split the remaining guppies up in to 2 tanks and put the tetras in the other tank for a while and see what happens. There are only 2 of the tetras so they will be more than happy in one of the 5 gallons by themselves.

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Well so far so good this morning. The tetras have been watching them closely, but I haven't seen them chase them today. I did get another 5 gallon set up this morning and it is running just in case I need it.

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's good. They should be fine now, I'd think.