1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

heater assistance for a 29g

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by eeyipes, Jul 20, 2008.

1. eeyipes

eeyipes Thread Starter New Member

Heaters?

With fall coming a few weeks away, I should probably starting thinking about heaters for my aquarium. I've never had one before - at our old place we kept the temp pretty toasty in the winter and the tanks would stay at a reasonable temp. But in this old house we don't raise the thermostat much over 70 in the winter. So ... what wattage for a 29 gal tank? Do you use a submersible or regular heater? Where the best place in the tank to place it?

2. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

I PERSONALLY LIKE THE STEALTH HEATERS

i put them on an angle towards the bottom of the tank and i only use 1 per tank i just get the next size up for what the tank calls for
    alot of people use 2 small heaters for fear of one sticking and cooking the fish <i have never had that problem>
    i suggest a 200 watt heater for a 29 gal so you dont work it so hard

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's what I use also.

I think 200watts is overkill for a 29 gallon tank. In my 20 gallon I only have a 100watt.

4. Dox13

Dox13 Member

In my 38 gal I use to have I used a 150 watt. In my 20 Long I use a 100 watt. My 10 gal I use a 50 watt and my 5 gal I use a 25 watt. I like the Visa Therm heaters the best and also the Tritonics all submersable heaters and I place mine in the 2/3rd down from the top on the back of the tank.