1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Hello again!!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by luckylouse, Sep 26, 2009.

1. luckylouse

luckylouse Thread Starter New Member

Don't know much about it. It sounds like a return flow issue to me. ie: Without any power head at all I have a RED Dragon 6.5 pump in my 90 Gal. It in my sump. Pumps out 1200 GPH.

You need to make sure that your return pump disturbs the water on top. That help to increase water quality in many ways.

2. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl New Member

Ok I'll check it out. I figured it was from not enough flow

3. luckylouse

Also as you are cycling you don't have to skim too heavy. You want make sure you leave the organics in the tank so can speed up your cycle. also... make sure you leave your light off. Better yet. I'd cover it with a drap until you the cycle is complete.

4. California Cowgirl

Yea still cycling, skimmer has only been on for 3 weeks. And light has only been on for two days now for 7 hours

5. luckylouse

7 hours is too long IMO. I would check your Phosphates and make sure you have none otherwise Cyano bacteria will start .Usually happens with new tanks. I'd go max 3 hours on lighting. No reason to add lighting really unless you have something in their besides rock.

6. California Cowgirl

ok, dosn't look like i have any cyano the only algaes that i currently have are, diatoms, a very small amount of green hair algae and coralline

7. lerik

lerik New Member

very nice