1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Help Identify this Cichlid

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by BeanSidhe, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If it is Herichthys carpinte they're not much nicer than the one I mentioned above. :)

2. BeanSidhe

BeanSidhe Thread Starter New Member

that Cichlasoma octofasciatum is just a jack dempsey... hes not a jack...
    but i will try and get a side shot of him when i feed them in about 5 minutes...
    their food is defrosting..
    oh and btw, my electric blues arent growing as fast as this guy...
    hes only 4 months old and hes quadrupled in size... must be the beef heart.
    who knows... but hes got this issue with the blue hose in the tank now....
    hes trying to dig it up...pretty funny.
    okay talk soon and hopefully will have some side shots.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

There are more things to worry about though imo.

1 being having 3 jack dempseys of any variation will mean trouble in a 55 gallon. They are OVERLY territorial and you will be seeing nipped fins if you haven't already.

And 2 being the band leporinus will definitely outgrow a 55 gallon very soon. Especially with the fairly large cichlids it is being housed with.

But, luckily most large fish keepers don't mind taking in someone elses monster once it has outgrown their tank :)

And as Anthony said, whatever your fish may be, he will be aggressive as well :( .

I am not giving you a hard time at all though just trying to help out a fellow keeper :D

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Cichlasoma octofasciatum actually has two color variations. ;)

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Ah! I had no idea [banghead] [rofl]

Now I know why you own the forum and why I just post here :)

I always learn something new from you guys, that's for sure. :cool:

6. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

but ebjd grow slower then regular ones and are less aggresive and try not to feed so much beef heart it lacks a lot of nutritional value but if once in a while treats it ok

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

This is a Blue Dempsey.

And this is a Jack Dempsey.
    BlueDempsey.jpg JackDempsey.jpg

8. BeanSidhe

OH yes I know... They also get a mixture of krill,brine shrimp, blood worms and the beef heart plus i alter it with pelleted food and sinking wafers...
    and flakes... i make sure they get variation because i really like healthy animals.
    I had a prairie dog that lived well over 10 years... they are only supposed to live to about 5...so Im doing something right somewhere.
    :) and I really thank all of you for helping me out with this... the leporinus was a gift to me by my husbands boss.. when it ate all of his angelfish LOL!
    i was like okay... theres a hint... but he may be getting it back...
    i saw a leporinus a few weeks ago and it had no color i come home and mine is so striking it looks like a bumble bee... I did try to get some new photos...
    so let me see what i can come up with here.
    be back in a few.

~Lynne

9. BeanSidhe

Okay it was impossible to get a good picture..
    im going to keep trying though...have my husband do it with his camera..
    much better camera...and the funny thing is, the only reason why i have face on pictures is because the fish KNOWS its being photographed and every time i move he makes sure hes face on.
    weird.

10. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

its not exacly called "blue dempsey" its called electric blue jack dempsry other wise known as ebjd and the normal kind is not always what they appear theirs some that look exacly like that bgjd(blue gene jack dempsey) and they can mate babies and they will be 25% ebjd and 75 bgjd

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Well if any members need help with Jack Dempsey care, we'll just forward them to this thread haha we've covered all of the bases.

12. BeanSidhe

no doubt!! this is awesome.. I did some reading and learned quite a bit.
    I really appreciate you guys helping me out..

13. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

lol not even care identification but you cant tell the differnce from bgjd and a jd

14. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

thats what a forum is for !!! :D

15. BeanSidhe

oh yeah...

16. WynterNyghtmare

WynterNyghtmare New Member

I know this is an old thread and you more than likely know what it is by now, or have gotten rid of it, but it is def not a JD of any kind, It looks more like a Texas in body shape, and exactly looks like a herichthys carpinte, just as tmtalyor87 said, as for your EBJD's they won't stand a chance because they are mean little buggers, at least the ones I've had were lol

17. BeanSidhe

Hey Wynter, cool name by the way, I did get rid of it finally, it ate my pleco and two sharks and another EBJD so now i have the two EBJDS two blood parrots and i HAD a pleco but its MIA.. no clue where it went and the black tipped shark i had died...
    so now i have just those fish and my algae eater which seems to outlive everything!
    and it is/was a Carpinte.... thats the name i couldnt remember.
    thanks!
    Have a great holiday!

BS

18. WynterNyghtmare

WynterNyghtmare New Member

Well, Thank ya, I've had that nickname (for pc only lol) since I was 12, and it always stuck with me, as for your fishy friend I'm shocked to hear it ate a pleco!!! That's crazy he must have been one mean little jerk, and the poor Ebdj i can only imagine how much it cost, they are only 40$ where I'm at which is the cheapest (but still pricey for me) I've seen compared to some prices online, but at least you got two left, as for your MIA pleco, I had one go MIA on me for several months one time until I decided to move the tank decor around and found him sucking on a rock, so it's prob still alive, and if you really want to find it just move things around unless you don't have a lot of caves and whatnot. Oh, and you have a great holiday as well :)