1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Help me design my 40 gallon tank's new layout!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by MasterBlue, Apr 21, 2010.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

A, B, C are all black (like what it sounds like your looking for)...D of course...is not, but the peagravel would fit into your wanting a natural look ime and will hold plants fine (just won't do anything to boost/encourage there growth in any way).
    PeaGravel.jpg

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

ps. with that Eheim 2217..make sure you prefilter the intake so your fish/shrimp/etc don't get sucked in.
    AND if your planning on dosing the tank with anything for plants DON'T add carbon as media...do something like sponges towards the bottom to filter out the big stuff, finer pore sponge above it to get the smaller stuff, and something for the beneficial bacteria to cling to above that (cheap route would be broken terra cotta planters), and if there's another spot you could do filter floss like the wal-mart stuff to catch the bitty stuff...otherwise something like a micron pad for that "polished" look.

3. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

Eco Complete is starting to look good. My local store only has saltwater sand as of recent. I could get him to order some I'm sure, but I'd be better off ordering off the internet. I know how much he would charge extra >.>; He's about doing mark-ups on the order stuff. Prolly about 200% more. Or thats what I'm told.

Right now I have that kind or gravel they use when some one make a gravel walk way, I've seen it used mixed with cement too, but only as a cosmetic improvement.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I hear ya on the local petstores doing the major markups (hence why I buy most of mine online..cheaper, comes to your door)

ONLINE..if you order tonight from petco and your orders comes to $60 you should be able to get the 15% off and the free shipping (i've ordered from them before and they are really good, plus if there's a issue you can always return or return to your local petco which is kinda nice).

mevio will give you only 10% off and free ship on $65 or more
    affreg for free ship on orders $50 or more
    palswelcome50 will give $10 off orders of $50 or more (exp 6-15-2010)
    lucky is said to be 17% off
    mevio10 will simply give you 10% off any order
    and for many more you can goto tjoos.com and simply put in petco

5. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

I'll have to wait till later. I might be buying a van tomorrow o.o; I'm sick of not having a car. It's 200$ So I doubt it'll get me far, but it's better than nothing.