1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Help Selecting Tank for Betta & Plants (Help Wanted)

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by Anonymous, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:23 am
    Help with tank.

OK I'm looking to upgrade the quilty of life for my male Betta, it needs to be a small tank so I can keep it on my book case.(so no ten gallon)

I was wondering about this tank

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10311305#ProductDetail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... ductDetail</a>

I was wonder If I could put a 10 watt fourlcent bulb in there to grow plants.
    also would the 10 watt light push me to needing CO2 in my tank?
    The other tank I'm looking at is a 3 gallon tank would the plants help make up for the .5 gallon of water I loss?

This is the other tank kind look like this but this is not the tank.
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10291812" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... d=10291812</a>

It the basely the same stlye and same company but the one I'm looking at is 3 gallon.

Thanks
    Scott

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:41 pm
    2.5 gallon would make it for the single betta, I wouldn't attempt plants imo as it's too small and just about any plant would quickly outgrow the tiny tank.

If I were you I'd do a 5g with a basic gooseneck light fixture rather than spending the cash for the hood. With that You could leave it open top and do something such as bamboo that could easily grow out of the tank with no issues.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:25 pm
    Could I do that with the three gallon tank, because our wal-mart doesn't have 5 gallon tanks.

4. justonemoretank

justonemoretank New Member

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:11 pm
    I know that PetCo carries 5 1/2 gallon all-glass tanks, with the hood and lights. With the light bulb that comes with the hood, which is a 16-watt, you get about three watts per gallon, which is plenty to grow plants like anubias and java fern, as well as some others. If the plant grows too large, you just trim it! The set-up is pretty cheap and leaves room for a couple of snails or some cherry shrimp. Also, I like these build-your-own tanks better because you get to choose what filter you are most comfortable with, in your price range, and I just get a little freaked out about putting heaters in plastic tanks. I am in the process of doing one of these now... still cycling, but have done a lot of research, and I think this is the best way to go. There is an excellent article on bettas in the May issue of Aquarium Fish International.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:01 am
    Perfect advice justonemore!

6. justonemoretank

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:10 pm
    Thanks Dawn... if only I could find as much enthusiasm for school as I do for fish! (Unless you know of a school where I can major in fish tank keeping, I'm stuck with English!)

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:23 pm
    Lol, I hated English. MLA Format in college was a freakin nightmare!
    Zookeeper? Marine Biologist? Or business major and open your own store. Lol!

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:29 pm
    I kinda like MLA format, but that must like just the writer in me thought.

9. justonemoretank

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:13 am
    I really do love English and MLA and have a sincere dislike for dangling modifiers and the like, but it's the end of the semester, and that's never a good time to talk about it! Haha but it's okay, really. And I thought about biology related to ichthyology, but I'm really not good at math and that kind of matters. So, here I am... an English major/ American Studies minor with many, many tanks and lots of knowledge about fish.