1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

help setting up saltwater tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by Anonymous, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

i'm trying to convert my 150g fw to a sw. i have one big canister filter and getting a skimmer pretty soon. my light r color moon light(is that ok for saltwater?), and i also have a powerhead. i'm looking to start with just liive sand(50/50) and live rock(40-60lbs) and later on will add some fish. i will be getting a few water testing item also.

now my ? r. do i need a skimmer or a blue light? do i mix the salt and water while i have the live sand and live rock in the tank or do i have the water ready before i put sand and rock in?

anything will help.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well, you're going to need more live rock. Generally the rule is about 1lb per gallon of water.

You should mix the salt and water prior to putting it in the tank. After you have the salinity at the correct level you can then add your live sand and live rock.

You should have a skimmer. As for the blue light, I assume you mean actinic lighting. The lighting is only important if you're planning on keeping any corals. Live rock will be fine with normal aquarium lighting.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

wat about the light for the fish. do they need actinic light too. and just another question. how long do i have to wait to add fish or for the tank to be set and runing.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Basic 50/50 bulbs are fine for the fish and live rock. That will provide the fish with the lighting requirements to support their biochemical reactions. How soon you can add fish depends on if your rock is completely cured or not. Uncured rock will have to cure in your tank for about a month. While the rock is curing it will release ammonia which is toxic to fish. After your rock is fully cured you can then add some hardy fish to get your tank going.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

i just got my tank set up 3 day ago. it got about 50/50 live sand and cure live rock. i dont have a skimmer. i have a very big sump(55g custom) and overflow all running. just wanna know wat can i all to my tank as of right now. i.e. goldfish, snail, shrimp...etc

7. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

you should get some good flow in your tank........i say get four koralia 4's and place 2 in the front top of the side glass and 2 on the mid level back of the side glass facing each other.....it might seem like alot but if your planning on going with a reef tank you'll need it......and it will also take care of the deadspots where debris can settle.........it's onlybeen 3 days, take your time....it's the key for a successful marine setup. ;)

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

wat is that thing u want me to get. r u talking about powerhead or something like that.

9. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

yep....look them up....koralia #4

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

man i should have wait. i got myself a pump and a powerhead. my sump pump is too strong. i think it doing all the pumping in the system. [dancing]

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

what is a good uv sterilizer for my 150g tank? or should i not get one for now until i add any fish.

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If you get a canister filter you can add an inline UV Sterilizer. Something like the Tubro Twist should be good.

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

i'm using just a sump not the canister filter. should i be using a canister i have also.

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You should be able to hook it up to your sump too, depending on your connections.

The only problem with that will be how quickly the water flows through the UV Sterilizer. If it's too fast it won't do much as far as sterilizing goes.

15. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

ok so should i run the canister filter too???

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You could or you could pick up a UV Sterilizer and just hook a pump up to it so you can control the flow.

17. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

ok if i hook up to the canister. do i hook it to the inline or the outline?

18. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I THINK the intake. It will tell you in the directions though.

19. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

wat i mean is do i hook it to the inline of the filter or the out line of the filter where water is going into the tank.
    well i just got back from a pet store and they test my water for me and said it all good within spec. they suggest that i get like a densal(black strip and white strip fish) the get the cycle going. i think that is the cheapest fish they got. it like $5 a fish. i'm thinking of getting a cheap fish but i only got my tank running for 4 day now. and i just got all my piping and stuff finish and just waiting to the silicon to dry no. should i get a fish like the guy at the pet store said or should i just wait till next week or two.

20. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yes, I know what you mean.

I'd wait until you're done setting everything up in the tank before adding anything into it.