1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

help setting up saltwater tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by Anonymous, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

i'll be done by tomorrow. can i all it next week?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Is your live rock cured already ?

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

they came from a guy fish tank. he had it while. is that cure or not?

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, it should be cured then. There may be some die off but not much.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

will i be able to add fish within the next 2-3 day? i only have about 30 lbs of live rock, should i get more. wat about he uv sterilizer, do i need that now or after i get more fish.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well... I installed a UV Sterilizer really soon after setting up my tank. I also used Bio Spira though so my tank was cycled instantly.

This is a 150 gallon tank correct ? You're going to need a total of 150-200 pounds of live rock in that tank. Personally, I'd add all the rock before anything else. If you can't get Bio Spira then you should let the tank run for a few weeks before adding any fish.

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

wow, that a lot of rock i need. i give a guy $50 buck and he give me about 30lbs of rock. now i still have to spend like $200-$300 on rock. wat is Bio Spira? and wat does it do?
    i will be upload some picture later on tonight. i just got my overflow all glue got it running now with no problem.

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yep, just in my 30 gallon tank I have 50 pounds of live rock.

Bio Spira is the only product that contains live beneficial bacteria found in established systems. It's used to instantly cycle freshwater and saltwater aquariums. You add it at the same time you add fish and avoid the cycling process.

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

What I have right now is pretty good.

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

do i need to turn off the light at night or do i have to leave the light on all the time.

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Ohh no. The lights must be on a cycle. Never leave lights on for 24 hours.

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

i just add some purple fiji rock. the guy that sold me them said that they need a look of light. how do i get a lot of light to the rock. i have the tube light. do they sell the blue tube light w/ lots of watt. sorry i dont know wat they call them.

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That would just be live rock with coraline algae on it. To get it to grow and spread you're going to have to upgrade your lighting. You can use T5's or PCs (Power Compact) lights. You'll probably want an Actinic and then a 6700 Daylight combo.

14. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

lights on for 6 hrs. a day to start then 8 hrs. a day....don't setup the uv sterilizer until your tank has matured - it can kill beneficial bacteria......power compact lighting is a good start for soft corals but you will want the t5's or mh's later on anyways...so i would save money for that.......if you have a sump you don't really need the canister filter - it will raise your nitrates if you don't keep it clean all the time......to grow coralline you need to have your calcium and alk. levels in check without making the ph flucture all the time....
    i know i'm just rambling on but these are just key words so you can look into it more and read up on these things.......

15. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

i dont know wat ur talking about. do u have any picture.

16. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

haha....pic of what?

17. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The lights maybe ?

18. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

yeah i kind of went off there...typing off the top of the dome.....i don't think i have pics of my lights yet....i can get some up tomorrow though.

19. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I don't have any actual pictures of my lights either. Here's Drs Foster and Smith's pictures of the lights I have.
    aa1272.g.akamai.net_7_1272_1121_20080930195532_www.drsfostersm3641341fcd0368b27b092262b7b4f159.jpg

20. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

my light is the tube type. it 1 on each side of the top opening. should i install more or do the store have a bright tube light.