1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Hi all

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by LoneRunner, Mar 8, 2009.

1. LoneRunner

LoneRunner Thread Starter New Member

LoneRunner here, newly registered from Mauritius Island. I am new to aquariums and fish ! I have 2 Oscars of around 12 inches each and 2 plecos : 1 of around 12 inches and the other around 10 inches. All 4 fish in a 100 liters aquarium. I want to upgrade to a larger tank soon...

All tips for Oscars welcome ...

LR :D

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Welcome to the forum. You really need to upgrade now, you're way past due. 100 liters comes out to about 26 gallons. :eek:

3. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Welcome to the forum!
    Does that even fit in 100 liter :O?

4. LoneRunner

Hi again !

Thanks for your replies, yes for the moment they fit but i will have to upgrade as the Oscars grow very quick !

LR

5. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Oscars do get real big
    Its best to upgrade to a MINIMUM of 500 liter wich is I believe 125 gal. if you cannot do that its best to do the oscars away since they simply outgrow alot of tanks and probadly a 125 to.

6. LoneRunner

My intro ...

Well i think i'll have to give a bit more details about myself...

LoneRunner is Maik's nickname and we live in Mauritius Island in the Indian Ocean ! The most expensive place to reach on earth ! But it's a piece of paradise ! By the way we are celebrating Independance day soon : 12th March !

LoneRunner is a traveller, unable to stay without a travel plan or dreaming of a plan ! Next departure is in two days : March 10th departing for Malaysia, then China, then Thailand and back to Malaysia on 23rd March. Last lone-running was in December 2008, and i went to Bangladesh !

Read my travel reports here :

I am also a scuba diver CMAS N4 level, going for MF1 as soon as i can spare some time ! Nature lover, alpinist, hiker, internet freak, book-reader (actually reading Vickram Chandra's : Sacred Games), holding a club for quad biking and mini-moto and so many things and paralell activities !

Well ! Ask me if you wanna know anything else ! And would you have some time to check me out, i'd like some comments and reviews from you too !

Ciao ;)
    LR

7. Alleycat

Alleycat Member

Welcome LR, nice places you're traveling to with some great details, and pics.
    However, your two Oscars and two plecos aren't traveling more than a few inches in your 100L tank. You need to upgrade ASAP !!! ;)
    They'll appreciate it :D

8. LoneRunner

Ha ha true. I'll see to it as soon as i come back. :D

LR

9. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Wow. I'd love to visit Mauritius island once :) I like to travel myself but I'm to young so I'll have to beg my parents to go on a holiday each year xD

10. LoneRunner

Mauritius is quite cheap in itself but coming here is quite expensive. Well if you wanna come here, save a bit and maybe you can come soon !

LR

11. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Would love to but I'm only 14 :)

12. LoneRunner

So ? My first travel was when i was 13, i went to Reunion Island and that was what made me a travel addict !

LR
    PS : Yes we can ! :D

13. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

You went alone? ^^

14. LoneRunner

15. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Wow! You must've been very lucky
    My parents wont let me go on a holiday with friends or alone untill my 18th =/

16. LoneRunner

Well ! :eek: You have to be patient then :!:

LR

17. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Just a lil more then 3 years to go :D

P.S This is my 1000sth post Yaay [dancing]

18. LoneRunner

I wont be able to wait 3 years for another travel !

P.s This is my 9th post, hurray !

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Welcome to Aquarium Space!

:D Please make yourself feel right at home sharing and learning with the rest of us, we're definitely a friendly bunch!

:confused: If you’re having trouble finding something or need help you can contact myself (Dawn), Anthony or Jake through pm and we'll gladly help you ;)

:D Also, if/when you get a chance be sure to post some photos/videos of your setup/setups.

-> The following link will lead you directly to our photo/video section Aquarium Photos - Show off your Tank Forum

An Oscar can get up to 14" + as an adult. Depending on the type of pleco you have...some can get up to several feet in length! Yowsers!!

:!: 100 liters is about 26 gallons, you DEFINITELY need to upgrade the size of your current tank. You should have (imo) AT LEAST 90g for the pair of them. Keep in mind that a wider tank is more ideal for them due to their size (turn around room).

Don't plan on your tank staying beautiful if you take the time to nicely decorate/landscape it. They will definitely rearrange it to their liking (mounds of gravel in a corner...parts of the tank bare from where they took the gravel and spit it elsewhere) and be careful with decorations also. I once had a Jack that got stuck in a castle that I had bought from my lfs. Also, Plants will be easily ripped to shreds.

Temperature wise...stick in the tropical range with 77F being good (the key here is to keep it a steady temp to prevent illness & stress).

Oscars and Plecos are really "dirty" fish...you'll also want major "overkill" when it comes to filtration (I'd aim for at least 5-6x gph) for them.

Water changes should definitely be done weekly at a higer rate than some of the smaller/less messier guys. I'd start with at least 20% a week and see how that works out for you parameter/water quality wise (Don't forget to add your dechlorinator BEFORE adding new/replacement water and you can easily dose for the entire tank size if using something such as Prime).

Keep in mind they can be aggressive towards one another leading to lesions, fungus, torn fins, etc. Take a look at the stick about what to keep in your aquatic medicine cabinet

As far as foods you have a large variety of choices....Live, frozen, flake, pellets (alternating is key to good health/coloration). Hikari is a name brand High quality food that is easily found at local pet stores such as Petsmart & Petco...The have a nice variety available in Flake, Pellets, & Frozen.

20. LoneRunner

Thanks for the update. But there are terms that i have to learn as i am just a starter ! I'll do all that in two weeks from now as D-day is tomorrow !!!

LR