1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

high nitrates

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by LemonDiscus, Mar 7, 2009.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

I just finished, I got a new Nitrate test kit today and now I understand the problems with my tanks... the Angel Breeders were at 180ppm, the Endlers, 80ppm.... about 5 hours spent today:

75% water change on my 30 gallon Angel breeder tank
    50% water change on my 20 gallon Endler tank
    20% water change on my 125 gallon Discus tank
    85% water change on my 55 to clean out some floating silt/debris from the water

Also cleaned about 80lbs of play sand, set up another filter on my 55 and numerous other odd and end stuff (my Leopard Geckos laid an egg so I had to set up an incubation tank as well)

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Woah those are not good numbers...

3. LemonDiscus

No... I was shocked :eek:

That I would bet is the reason for the Angelfish problems and maybe the Endlers not breeding too :confused:

Ooops! That is why you should NEVER not have a Nitrate test kit...

On a positive note my Ammonia and Nitrites were 0ppm... My 125 had nice numbers though (Nitrates 25ppm)

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I never test my nitrates. I'm curious what mine are at. When I had to have my water tested at the pet store when my 4 ottos died the next day he said my nitrates were 0.

5. LemonDiscus

I usually dont test nitrates either and change 15% each week.... I was shocked!

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well now I know why I don't test my nitrates... I don't have a nitrate test kit. :)

7. LemonDiscus

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:40 pm
    Yeah... I did til mine ran out! I got one today out of curiosity (cheap strips) and was surprised to see what I did... left me with 5 hours of work :confused:

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:20 am
    Glad I'm not the only one dealing with the nitrates.
    I got Algone pads and Seachem De-nitrate and am still watching my readings closely. Next I will get a phospate test kit but both pet stores I was at today were out oddly enough.

9. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

well high nitrates are probally from you doind such a high amount of water change at one time your tank my be going through another "mini cycle". you might actually be killing your benificial bacteria by doing such a huge water change. Also strips are Cr@p lol